The best way to update a site?

Guest

Hello!

I currently have a site online. I added more features to my datagrid page,
so users can update and stuff. I though I could just copy the aspx, aspx.vb
and the server page including the web config, and paste then on the server.
At c:\intepub\wwwroot\website.
But now I get a runtime error when I go to that page. What is the best way
to update a site after maiking modifications on the developer machine?

TIA

Rudy

Mark Rae

I currently have a site online. I added more features to my datagrid
page,
so users can update and stuff. I though I could just copy the aspx,
aspx.vb
and the server page including the web config, and paste then on the
server.
At c:\intepub\wwwroot\website.
But now I get a runtime error when I go to that page. What is the best
way
to update a site after maiking modifications on the developer machine?

1) What exactly do you mean by "the server page"?

2) Why are you trying to copy the .vb files?

3) Are you using Visual Studio.NET?

Guest

Typically, you do not have to move the files containing source code to the
web server (eg .cs, .vb, etc.), you only need to move the content files
(.aspx, .htm, .css, .config, etc.).

When you make updates to the code, you need to rebuild the project and then
copy the content files and the new dll over to the webserver. When you build
the project, your "code files" are compiled into the dll
(yourapp/bin/youapp.dll).

Hope this helps. You may also try google to get a better understanding of
the deployment process and why certain files are needed on the webserver and
others are not.

darrel

But now I get a runtime error when I go to that page. What is the best
way
to update a site after maiking modifications on the developer machine?

Sounds like you are using VS.net and, as such, you are likely compiling all
your vb pages into a DLL before uploading.

So, if that is the case, you don't want to upload your .vb files, but,
rather, recompile the project, upload your ASPX pages, and then upload your
project's dll file (in the BIN folder).

-Darrel

Tampa.NET Koder

As a result of what everyone has suggested, please note that re-deploying
your website will cause all session state information to be lost (that is if
you do use In-process state). So, if this is a very busy website, I
wouldn't want to tick your user's off by killing their session information
when you update. So, do you updates at a time when it is not that busy

Guest

Thank you all who replied! I got my site up and running. I forgot about the
dll, and just put the vb files because i thought it couldn't hurt. But is
there harm put those files in, they are not very big.
Anyway, I dumped my entire site and just loaded in a new one. When I moved
the project file from my home to my office developer computer, and named the
project diffrent, off by one letter. So my new project was a little diffrent
then what I had on the server. It's a intranet site, so I just sent a memo
about the new name. Not sure how that happened, but I do remember I had a
heck of a time moving the project over and getting it to work again. Thanks
again!

Rudy