The difference?

Lew

sungwon said:
What exactly is the difference between JDK 6 SE and J2SE? Is there any
compatibility issues?

I'm trying to use java for this library, in case anyone's interested.
www.opensourcephysics.org

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/j2se-namechange.html>
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/version-6.html>

There were several versions of "J2SE" until Sun changed the name to just
"JSE". I'll assume you're asking about the difference between Java 5 and Java
6 unless you correct me.

For that, get it straight from from the source:
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/>

To give you the information here "exactly" would be to plagiarize that link.

GIYF, too.

Lothar Kimmeringer

sungwon said:
What exactly is the difference between JDK 6 SE and J2SE? Is there any
compatibility issues?

The JDK 6 SE is version six of the Java 2 Standard Edition.
There are other editions like the Java 2 Enterprise Edition
or the Java 2 Mobile Edition.

Regards, Lothar
--
Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: (e-mail address removed)

questions!

Joe Attardi

Lothar said:
The JDK 6 SE is version six of the Java 2 Standard Edition.
There are other editions like the Java 2 Enterprise Edition
or the Java 2 Mobile Edition.

Technically, though, Sun has dropped the "2". Java 2 Standard Edition
(J2SE), Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE), and Java 2 Mobile Edition
(J2ME) have now become Java Standard Edition (JSE), Java Enterprise
Edition (JEE), and Java Mobile Edition (JME).

IMHO this is something Sun should have done long ago...

RedGrittyBrick

Joe said:
Technically, though, Sun has dropped the "2". Java 2 Standard Edition
(J2SE), Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE), and Java 2 Mobile Edition
(J2ME) have now become Java Standard Edition (JSE), Java Enterprise
Edition (JEE), and Java Mobile Edition (JME).

IMHO this is something Sun should have done long ago...

<rant>

Sun's marketing department is pure Dilbert. Remember the SunOS/Solaris
naming and versioning fiasco? When they started the company they should
have split it into two, let the marketing people produce vaporware for
PHBs and have a separate company in a different timezone producing
actual products for software developers and syadmins to use. Sun's
marketing people have demonstrated many times exactly why they shouldn't
be allowed to decide version numbers or product names.

I'm quite happy using Oak 1.6 to develop my apps :)

</rant>