The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x0000

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lars-Erik Aabech, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Hi!

    Guess it's my day again.. Tried to deploy a test release of a new asp.net
    web today, and got a terrible error.
    The web is running swell on three development computers, but when it's
    copied to the test server it won't work at all.
    Looks like aspnet_wp is trying to compile it for five seconds, then it stops
    working what so ever. The system event log gets the following entry:

    Application popup: aspnet_wp.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown
    software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location
    0x00000000.

    I've checked that other asp.net applications run fine on the server. It only
    happens to this particular web app, but when it happens it hangs aspnet_wp,
    so nothing works until aspnet_wp is killed. I've tried to build both debug
    and release versions of the web, but no cigar.

    Anyone got ideas?

    Lars-Erik

    Lars-Erik Aabech, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Hi Lars-Erik,

    Glad to see you again.
    As for the problem you mentioned, from a general view , it seems that the
    ASP.NET runtime on your deploy machine has encountered a fatal internal
    error. I'm not sure whether your deploy server has meet any problems on
    ..net configuration before or has done any certain changes. Anyway, I
    suggest you first try test a simple helloworld aspx page under your IIS's
    default site's root to see wehther the ASP.NET runtime still works. If such
    as simple page still not work, I'm afraid we may need to do some
    troubleshooting on the .net framework on your server. If there're any other
    finding, please feel free to post here also.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Lars-Erik Aabech" <>
    | Subject: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred
    in the application at location 0x00000000.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 6, 2005

  3. Hi again!

    Well, I'll start with a quote from my post..
    > I've checked that other asp.net applications run fine on the server.

    Those pages are even quite a bit more advanced than helloworld.aspx'es :p

    Lars-Erik

    Lars-Erik Aabech, Jul 6, 2005
  4. If basic test pages still can't work. I'm afraid the .net framework on that
    machine maybe get corrupted. Anyway, I suggest you try executing

    aspnet_regiis -u
    aspnet_regiis -i

    command to reinstall the asp.net runtime in IIS. Then, try testing simple
    asp.net pages in your IIS server to see whether it works. If still no luck,
    I suggest you turn on Filemon to see whether there're any faile accessing
    failures which may cause the problem.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Lars-Erik Aabech" <>
    | Subject: Re: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409)
    occurred in the application at location 0x00000000.
    | Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:14:11 +0200
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Hi again!
    |
    | Well, I'll start with a quote from my post..
    | > I've checked that other asp.net applications run fine on the server.
    |
    | Those pages are even quite a bit more advanced than helloworld.aspx'es :p
    |
    | Lars-Erik
    |
    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > Hi Lars-Erik,
    | >
    | > Glad to see you again.
    | > As for the problem you mentioned, from a general view , it seems that
    the
    | > ASP.NET runtime on your deploy machine has encountered a fatal internal
    | > error. I'm not sure whether your deploy server has meet any problems on
    | > net configuration before or has done any certain changes. Anyway, I
    | > suggest you first try test a simple helloworld aspx page under your
    IIS's
    | > default site's root to see wehther the ASP.NET runtime still works. If
    | > such
    | > as simple page still not work, I'm afraid we may need to do some
    | > troubleshooting on the .net framework on your server. If there're any
    | > other
    | > finding, please feel free to post here also.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Lars-Erik Aabech" <>
    | > | Subject: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409)
    occurred
    | > in the application at location 0x00000000.
    | > | Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 17:52:09 +0200
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | Hi!
    | > |
    | > | Guess it's my day again.. Tried to deploy a test release of a new
    | > asp.net
    | > | web today, and got a terrible error.
    | > | The web is running swell on three development computers, but when it's
    | > | copied to the test server it won't work at all.
    | > | Looks like aspnet_wp is trying to compile it for five seconds, then it
    | > stops
    | > | working what so ever. The system event log gets the following entry:
    | > |
    | > | Application popup: aspnet_wp.exe - Application Error : The exception
    | > unknown
    | > | software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at
    location
    | > | 0x00000000.
    | > |
    | > | I've checked that other asp.net applications run fine on the server.
    It
    | > only
    | > | happens to this particular web app, but when it happens it hangs
    | > aspnet_wp,
    | > | so nothing works until aspnet_wp is killed. I've tried to build both
    | > debug
    | > | and release versions of the web, but no cigar.
    | > |
    | > | Anyone got ideas?
    | > |
    | > | Lars-Erik
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 8, 2005
  5. Hiya!

    I'm afraid I've been very unclear. This particular virtual folder web
    application configured to run isolated does not run. It hangs, but only when
    it's going to use some code-behind. I tried removing all code in
    app_onstart, then I got the first page rendered. As soon as that one was
    going to do something, the problem occured.

    Now for what's been unclear. "I've checked that other webs run fine" means
    All other web's on the server work. Which means to me that the .net
    framework feels fine..?

    I'll try to re-register aspnet anyway though. :)

    Thanks so far.

    L-E

    Lars-Erik Aabech, Jul 9, 2005
  6. Thanks for your followup Erik,

    Then, it seems like a application specific problem if other ASP.NET web
    application running with no problem.
    Anyway, I'll wait for your latest news. also, if still no luck. Would you
    try producing a very simple page which can reproduce the problem yo
    umentioned and attach it to me so that we can perform some tests on our
    side .

    Thanks & Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------
    | From: "Lars-Erik Aabech" <>
    | Subject: Re: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409)
    occurred in the application at location 0x00000000.
    | Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:56:15 +0200
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Hiya!
    |
    | I'm afraid I've been very unclear. This particular virtual folder web
    | application configured to run isolated does not run. It hangs, but only
    when
    | it's going to use some code-behind. I tried removing all code in
    | app_onstart, then I got the first page rendered. As soon as that one was
    | going to do something, the problem occured.
    |
    | Now for what's been unclear. "I've checked that other webs run fine"
    means
    | All other web's on the server work. Which means to me that the .net
    | framework feels fine..?
    |
    | I'll try to re-register aspnet anyway though. :)
    |
    | Thanks so far.
    |
    | L-E
    |

    | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    | > If basic test pages still can't work. I'm afraid the .net framework on
    | > that
    | > machine maybe get corrupted. Anyway, I suggest you try executing
    | >
    | > aspnet_regiis -u
    | > aspnet_regiis -i
    | >
    | > command to reinstall the asp.net runtime in IIS. Then, try testing
    simple
    | > asp.net pages in your IIS server to see whether it works. If still no
    | > luck,
    | > I suggest you turn on Filemon to see whether there're any faile
    accessing
    | > failures which may cause the problem.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Steven Cheng
    | > Microsoft Online Support

    | > rights.)
    | >

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "Lars-Erik Aabech" <>
    | > | Subject: Re: The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409)
    | > occurred in the application at location 0x00000000.
    | > | Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:14:11 +0200
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    | > |
    | > | Hi again!
    | > |
    | > | Well, I'll start with a quote from my post..
    | > |
    | > | Those pages are even quite a bit more advanced than
    helloworld.aspx'es
    | > :p
    | > |
    | > | Lars-Erik
    | > |
    | > | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    | > the
    | > internal
    | > on
    | > IIS's
    If

    | > occurred
    | > | > |
    | > it's
    | > it
    entry:
    | > | > |
    | > location
    | > | > |
    | > It
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jul 11, 2005
  7. Lars-Erik Aabech

    surferjoe

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    The Fix

    Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

    find the string named AppInit_DLLs

    Open string and clear it. No need to reboot

    surferjoe, May 19, 2009
  8. Lars-Erik Aabech

    surferjoe

    Joined: