    There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
    Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.

    fuli
    fuli open, Jan 30, 2007

  2. fuli open

    J.O. Aho Guest

    fuli open wrote:
    > Some of my pages look bad when opened with the Opera browser. For
    > instance, the top margin of following page becomes too large:
    >
    > www.pinyinology.com
    >
    > In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
    > superscripts:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html
    >
    > There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
    > Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.

    Noticed that there was quite different effects depending if using Seamonkey or
    Opera, opera had some anoying scrolling text, while Seamoney was lucky and had
    only static text.

    You could try to check your code against w3c validator, you have the CSS
    validator too.

    Just running the html validation gave the following results:

    Result: Failed validation, 22 errors
    Result: Failed validation, 10 errors

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Jan 30, 2007

  3. fuli open

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "fuli open" <> wrote:

    > Some of my pages look bad when opened with the Opera browser. For
    > instance, the top margin of following page becomes too large:
    >
    > www.pinyinology.com
    >
    > In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
    > superscripts:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html
    >
    > There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
    > Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.
    >
    > fuli

    Go to a CSS validator:

    eg.

    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning
    =2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinyinology.com%2Fmusic%2Fyueliang.html>

    and fix up the mistakes. Come back if there are any you do not
    understand.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 30, 2007
  4. fuli open

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-01-30, fuli open <> wrote:
    > Some of my pages look bad when opened with the Opera browser. For
    > instance, the top margin of following page becomes too large:
    >
    > www.pinyinology.com

    Add

    embed { display: none; }

    to the styles-- it seems to be leaving a gap for the embed element at
    the top.

    What is embed anyway? It doesn't seem to be in HTML 4.01, and tidy tells
    me: "Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C".

    The hidden attribute on embed is presumably what's supposed to translate
    into display:none, but Opera may reasonably be having trouble with that.

    It may be you should use object instead of embed.

    > In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
    > superscripts:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html

    That seems to be because you have set sup to vertical-align:text-top. If
    you leave it as its default of vertical-align:super it looks better in
    Opera.

    Not quite sure why Opera is putting the apparently text-top aligned tone
    numbers in the subscript position though.
    Ben C, Jan 30, 2007
  5. fuli open wrote:

    > In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
    > superscripts:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html

    I notice that if I remove the: line-height:25px; from the CSS of
    #text1 and #text2, Opera will now display them as superscripts. Why, I
    do not know, unless it is some other combination of your CSS.

    > There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
    > Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.

    You should add a DOCTYPE to all your pages. Use this at the very
    beginning of each page;

    ...and as dorayme said, fix all the errors.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 30, 2007
  6. fuli open

    fuli open Guest

    On Jan 30, 5:48 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    > You should add a DOCTYPE to all your pages. Use this at the very
    > beginning of each page;
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

    Which doctype is more adequate for my page, the above one or the
    following one?

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
    www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    Thanks again.

    fuli open, Jan 31, 2007
  7. fuli open

    fuli open Guest

    On Jan 30, 5:41 pm, Ben C <> wrote:

    > Add
    >
    > embed { display: none; }

    This rule works. Thanks.

    > to the styles-- it seems to be leaving a gap for the embed element at
    > the top.
    >
    > What is embed anyway? It doesn't seem to be in HTML 4.01, and tidy tells
    > me: "Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C".
    >
    > The hidden attribute on embed is presumably what's supposed to translate
    > into display:none, but Opera may reasonably be having trouble with that.
    >
    > It may be you should use object instead of embed.

    <embed src="http://www.ibiblio.org/chinese-music/MP3/
    TD11.Colorful_Clouds_Chasing_Moon.mp3" loop='true' hidden='true'
    autostart='true' />

    I like to use object, and tried to replace the above embed tag with
    the following object tag.

    <object data="http://www.ibiblio.org/chinese-music/MP3/
    TD11.Colorful_Clouds_Chasing_Moon.mp3">
    <param name='autostart' value='true'/>
    <param name='hidden' value='true'/>
    <param name='loop' value='true'/>
    </object>

    But it didn't work. I guess the syntax is incorrect. Teaching is
    appreciated. But I heard embed is a better compromise for different
    browsers. Thanks again.
    fuli open, Jan 31, 2007
  8. fuli open

    J.O. Aho Guest

    fuli open wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 5:48 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> You should add a DOCTYPE to all your pages. Use this at the very
    >> beginning of each page;
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    > Which doctype is more adequate for my page, the above one or the
    > following one?
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
    > www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    Neither one, as you have xhtml tags in your html.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Jan 31, 2007
  9. fuli open wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> You should add a DOCTYPE to all your pages. Use this at the very
    >> beginning of each page;
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    > Which doctype is more adequate for my page, the above one or the
    > following one?
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
    > www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    Strict is for new pages. One would only use Transitional if one was ..
    well .. transitioning legacy pages and didn't have the time to remove
    ancient 'presentational' HTML code: <font ..>, <center>, stuff like
    that.

    Without a valid doctype of any kind, you push browsers into quirks mode.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2007
  10. fuli open

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > fuli open wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> You should add a DOCTYPE to all your pages. Use this at the very
    >>> beginning of each page;
    >>>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    >> Which doctype is more adequate for my page, the above one or the
    >> following one?
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
    >> www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    > Strict is for new pages. One would only use Transitional if one was ..
    > well .. transitioning legacy pages and didn't have the time to remove
    > ancient 'presentational' HTML code: <font ..>, <center>, stuff like
    > that.

    Using strict or transitional, don't allow xhtml tags.

    > Without a valid doctype of any kind, you push browsers into quirks mode.

    As the pages that OP has made uses xhtml too, it's getting even worse.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Jan 31, 2007
  11. J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Using strict or transitional, don't allow xhtml tags.

    Yeah, I hadn't noticed the OP's page was using XHTML closing tags until
    you mentioned it. <g> I was thinking quirks might be contributing to
    the Opera problem.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2007