The Opera Browser

J.O. Aho

fuli said:
Some of my pages look bad when opened with the Opera browser. For
instance, the top margin of following page becomes too large:

www.pinyinology.com

In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
superscripts:

http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html

There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.

Noticed that there was quite different effects depending if using Seamonkey or
Opera, opera had some anoying scrolling text, while Seamoney was lucky and had
only static text.

You could try to check your code against w3c validator, you have the CSS
validator too.

Just running the html validation gave the following results:

Result: Failed validation, 22 errors
Result: Failed validation, 10 errors

dorayme

"fuli open said:
Some of my pages look bad when opened with the Opera browser. For
instance, the top margin of following page becomes too large:

www.pinyinology.com

In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
superscripts:

http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html

There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.

fuli

Go to a CSS validator:

eg.

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning
=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinyinology.com%2Fmusic%2Fyueliang.html>

and fix up the mistakes. Come back if there are any you do not
understand.

Ben C

Some of my pages look bad when opened with the Opera browser. For
instance, the top margin of following page becomes too large:

www.pinyinology.com

Add

embed { display: none; }

to the styles-- it seems to be leaving a gap for the embed element at
the top.

What is embed anyway? It doesn't seem to be in HTML 4.01, and tidy tells
me: "Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C".

The hidden attribute on embed is presumably what's supposed to translate
into display:none, but Opera may reasonably be having trouble with that.

It may be you should use object instead of embed.
In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
superscripts:

http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html

That seems to be because you have set sup to vertical-align:text-top. If
you leave it as its default of vertical-align:super it looks better in
Opera.

Not quite sure why Opera is putting the apparently text-top aligned tone
numbers in the subscript position though.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

fuli said:
In following page, all the subscripts are actually coded as
superscripts:

http://www.pinyinology.com/music/yueliang.html

I notice that if I remove the: line-height:25px; from the CSS of
#text1 and #text2, Opera will now display them as superscripts. Why, I
do not know, unless it is some other combination of your CSS.
There are no such problems when opened with the IE and Firefox.
Greatly appreciate for teaching how to improve the pages.

You should add a DOCTYPE to all your pages. Use this at the very
beginning of each page;

...and as dorayme said, fix all the errors.

fuli open

Add

embed { display: none; }

This rule works. Thanks.
to the styles-- it seems to be leaving a gap for the embed element at
the top.

What is embed anyway? It doesn't seem to be in HTML 4.01, and tidy tells
me: "Warning: <embed> is not approved by W3C".

The hidden attribute on embed is presumably what's supposed to translate
into display:none, but Opera may reasonably be having trouble with that.

It may be you should use object instead of embed.

<embed src="http://www.ibiblio.org/chinese-music/MP3/
TD11.Colorful_Clouds_Chasing_Moon.mp3" loop='true' hidden='true'
autostart='true' />

I like to use object, and tried to replace the above embed tag with
the following object tag.

<object data="http://www.ibiblio.org/chinese-music/MP3/
TD11.Colorful_Clouds_Chasing_Moon.mp3">
<param name='autostart' value='true'/>
<param name='hidden' value='true'/>
<param name='loop' value='true'/>
</object>

But it didn't work. I guess the syntax is incorrect. Teaching is
appreciated. But I heard embed is a better compromise for different
browsers. Thanks again.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

fuli said:
Which doctype is more adequate for my page, the above one or the
following one?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Strict is for new pages. One would only use Transitional if one was ..
well .. transitioning legacy pages and didn't have the time to remove
ancient 'presentational' HTML code: <font ..>, <center>, stuff like
that.

Without a valid doctype of any kind, you push browsers into quirks mode.

J.O. Aho

Beauregard said:
Strict is for new pages. One would only use Transitional if one was ..
well .. transitioning legacy pages and didn't have the time to remove
ancient 'presentational' HTML code: <font ..>, <center>, stuff like
that.

Using strict or transitional, don't allow xhtml tags.

Without a valid doctype of any kind, you push browsers into quirks mode.

As the pages that OP has made uses xhtml too, it's getting even worse.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

J.O. Aho said:
Using strict or transitional, don't allow xhtml tags.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed the OP's page was using XHTML closing tags until
you mentioned it. <g> I was thinking quirks might be contributing to
the Opera problem.