the purpose of <link ref...> tag

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no
spam]gmail.com> writing in
hi, i was going thru some source of some sites and i noticed that some
of them has the following under the header tag. these tags usually
exists in xhtml documents.can any kind souls explain what does the
following html does? or any good reference to read up on?Thanks. <link
rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="contents" href="index.php" />
<link rel="index" href="ref.array.php" />
<link rel="prev" href="function.ksort.php" />
<link rel="next" href="function.natcasesort.php" />

Shortcut Icon - the little image next to the url in the menu bar

The others, for UAs that support it, provides a menu bar in the browser.
I know that Opera supports it, and Firefox with an extension. I'm sure
there are others. The contents might refer to a sitemap, prev would be
previous document in a group of documents, next, next document, etc.
This information can also be useful for search engines.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Eric Layman" <namyalcire[at no
spam]gmail.com> writing in
May I know what does UA stands for?

User Agent aka Browser

Toby A Inkster

Adrienne said:
The others, for UAs that support it, provides a menu bar in the browser.
I know that Opera supports it, and Firefox with an extension. I'm sure
there are others.

iCab (freeware Mac browser) was IIRC the first of the graphical browsers to
offer full support for the LINK element. Some text-based browsers, such as
Lynx had supported it even earlier than that though. Opera 5 for Mac
introduced a LINK toolbar, but on other platforms, people had to wait for
Opera 7.0. Mozilla (the *real* Mozilla, not Firefox) had a LINK toolbar in
0.9.4-0.9.9 and 1.1+, but not 1.0.x. There is also a plugin that adds LINK
support for Internet Explorer for Windows.

For more info on the LINK element, I recommend Sander Tekelenburg's
tribute to LINK:
http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/WWW/LINK/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Toby A Inkster

Eric said:
May I know what does UA stands for?

UA = User-Agent.

A User-Agent is a program that processes your HTML. This is normally a
browser, but might be something else such as a search engine robot.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Eric Layman

hi, i was going thru some source of some sites and i noticed that some of
them has the following under the header tag. these tags usually exists in
xhtml documents.can any kind souls explain what does the following html
does? or any good reference to read up on?Thanks. <link rel="shortcut icon"
href="/favicon.ico" />
<link rel="contents" href="index.php" />
<link rel="index" href="ref.array.php" />
<link rel="prev" href="function.ksort.php" />
<link rel="next" href="function.natcasesort.php" />

Bergamot

Toby said:
Mozilla (the *real* Mozilla, not Firefox) had a LINK toolbar in
0.9.4-0.9.9 and 1.1+, but not 1.0.x.

FYI the mozilla suite (now Seamonkey) still has the link toolbar but
they've called it the "Site Navigation Bar" for a long time. It's not
always visible be default.

Eric Layman

Adrienne Boswell said:
[...]

Adrienne Boswell at Home