The Spammers Have Really Trashed This NG.

Series Expansion

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, Arne, "Lew", and Andrew.

Series Expansion

I don't think it is possible to create a bulletproof spam filter.

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, Arne, Andrew, and "Lew".

Series Expansion

The post I linked was not about 'spam' per-se, just
filtering.

And as an aside (glances up-thread), /please/ refrain
from feeding the troll.

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, Andrew, Arne, and "Lew".

Series Expansion

A troll wrote:

No, one did not.
This thread is not about the relative benefits of Lisp vs. Java.

Well, it must be, since that's the only thing I've taken a strong
position on, and people are attacking me. If someone is attacking me,
logically it's because they oppose me. If they oppose me, and the one
strong position I've taken is in favor of Java over Lisp, then
logically it's because they strongly favor Lisp over Java.
Or did you ignore the subject line, "Series Expansion"?

Obviously it had become irrelevant. The Lisp vs. Java debate has
nothing whatsoever to do with spam.
Furthermore, if you read Andrew's post, you'd see that there was no "personal
attack"

Now you are calling me a liar.

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, "Lew".
If the shoe fits, wear it.  That you felt compelled to respond clearly
indicates that you realized that his criticism applied to your posts.

No, it merely indicates that I realized that he intended it to do so,
even while also being fully cognizant that he was mistargeting that
criticism.

I have nothing to do with the level of spam here.
Really weird that trolls think anyone will buy into their false logic

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, "Lew" and Arne.

Series Expansion

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, "Lew" and Andrew.

Series Expansion

reassured that it was merely to comment on the
(continued) inanity it contained.

These tiresome personal attacks do not constitute rational arguments
in favor of either Lisp or Java, Andrew and "Lew".

whooja

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax said:
I don't really see much spam at all.
This post listed for you?
MiD: said:
I think news.individual must filter out most of it.
NIN is one of the more astute servers, there are
others which are also free.
Seamus MacRAE/Series Experience is mixing a
free server and google groups to run his scam here.
The peering arrangements mean you will miss a lot of valid
posts were you to filter on the free server he uses.. and
then there is always GG to cope with.

And he will now nymshift anyway.. so any theories on "ignore
and he will go away"?
Forget them, there is way too much fertile ground for his
baits (machine work) in the two groups.

Someone has suggested he is Paul Derbyshire:
MiD: <[email protected]>

Early investigation shows SM/SE may well have run this scam
before, in these programming groups, using that Derbyshire
name and "Twisted" to play off each other.
Has anyone with a set history here have anything to offer on
that aspect of these groups?

Thanks.

Arne Vajhøj

whooja said:
This post listed for you?

NIN is one of the more astute servers, there are
others which are also free.
Seamus MacRAE/Series Experience is mixing a
free server and google groups to run his scam here.
The peering arrangements mean you will miss a lot of valid
posts were you to filter on the free server he uses.. and
then there is always GG to cope with.

And he will now nymshift anyway.. so any theories on "ignore
and he will go away"?
Forget them, there is way too much fertile ground for his
baits (machine work) in the two groups.

Someone has suggested he is Paul Derbyshire:
MiD: <[email protected]>

Early investigation shows SM/SE may well have run this scam
before, in these programming groups, using that Derbyshire
name and "Twisted" to play off each other.
Has anyone with a set history here have anything to offer on
that aspect of these groups?

I think you can find somewhere between 25 and 50 identities
belong to him here.

Note that Paul Derbyshire is a real identity not a web only one.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

There's your problem. Google has been serving Usenet spammers since at
least 2004 and I wouldn't count on them stopping any time soon. Drop
all articles with "googlegroups.com" in the Message-ID and the problem
is solved.

Occasionally there are actually valid posters using GG.

Killfiling all of GG would lose their posts.

Some may consider it worth it, but there is a con.

Arne

Andrew Thompson

whooja wrote:
I think you can find somewhere between 25 and 50 identities
belong to him here.

Noting that 'whooja' has exactly 3 posts across
2 groups, yet displays a certain basic skill at
usenet and shows a propensity to join trollish
threads, I reckon this one makes '51'.

Arne Vajhøj

Andrew said:
Noting that 'whooja' has exactly 3 posts across
2 groups, yet displays a certain basic skill at
usenet and shows a propensity to join trollish
threads, I reckon this one makes '51'.

Could be.

He is apparantly posting via a public news server
in Sweden

Even though the from field does not comply with the
rules at:
http://www.usenet4all.se/

Arne

whooja

Arne Vajhøj said:
I think you can find somewhere between 25 and 50 identities
belong to him here.

Note that Paul Derbyshire is a real identity not a web only one.

Arne

Fine. This is what I was looking for, Arne.
Your assistance is much appreciated.

...and with the "From" syntax??
I had overlooked that in setting up the persona.
Honest error, thanks.

whooja

Arne Vajhøj said:

Why cross post to comp.lang.lisp ?
As far as I am aware it is a breach of RFCs (and
net-etiquette) to post the same message in two froups
without using crosspost. It breaks crosspost filters.
My choice was to have both groups updated on the false
statement " I don't see SPAM the server handles it for me."
End of story.
Info about Paul D has already been posted there several times,
so those interested would know.

Arne

You will have to allow for the recent intrusion (of mine).
I am not aware of previous postings on the topic aside from
what I have read in DejaVu/Google.

But thanks for the question, Arne, others would be
wondering too:)

Karl Uppiano

Patricia Shanahan said:
This is a very important point, especially for questions of fact, where
many people will have the same position. I often don't post because
everything I would say in answer to a question has already been posted
by the time I see the question.

I suspect that the correct, relevant, but repetitive replies might be a
worse form of noise than the current spam. They would appear in on-topic
threads. They would be posted by people whose writings I want to read
when they have something new to say. How would I know, without opening
and reading each, which make new points and which are just repeats?

Well, everything has its trade-offs. I go to comp.lang.c++.moderated for C++
discussions, and find it to be authoritative, totally free of spam, and
generally lacking in flame wars -- although they still manage to have
spirited discussions on relevant topics. Things do move more slowly over
there, but not unacceptably slow. There is a comp.lang.c++, which I ass-u-me
is the unmoderated version.

It seems that comp.lang.java.programmer.moderated could carry the moderated
version of this NG. The question still remains, who is offering to moderate
this group. I don't know. Who offers to moderate any group? It seems the
idea would have to be circulated, and if enough people were interested in
doing so, then the party is on. If not, then we have what we have, and
nobody gets hurt.