Themes/skins with multiple browsers

Guest

Hi,

We're developing an application that should render well on both IE and
Firefox and should be based on Themes. Does anyone have any good tips on how
to maintain different CSS-files for different browsers and still use themes?
How/where do you select the CSS to use as this is autogenerated?

Thanks,
Manso

Erik Funkenbusch

Does anyone have any good tips on how to maintain different CSS-files
for different browsers and still use themes?

Yes, don't do it. There is (almost) no reason to maintain different CSS
files for different browsers. The one real exception here is NN4, but
using the @import hack is common practice.

Unless you have a very complex design, you can design a site with only
minimal hacks to work on multiple browsers. You should just stay away from
features that are problematic.

It's very difficult to accurately sniff which browser is which, and serve
the correct CSS. You can't rely on browser agent strings, because many
people have their non-IE browsers configured to report that they are IE.