Thinking In Java book source code

Discussion in 'Java' started by Eric Beragg, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Eric Beragg

    Eric Beragg Guest

    Hello,

    I'm eager to read the book Thinking in Java, by Bruce Eckler. Unfortunately,
    i've spent quite some hours trying to get the code from chapter 3 to run. I
    found several "solutions" everywhere on the net (i've also gone through the
    steps given on his own website, and read the info in chapter 5), though none
    seem to work for me.

    When trying to run the Assignment.class file from chapter 3 (after a
    successfull compilation b.t.w.) i get the following error:

    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Assignment/class

    Now, I understand this should come from the fact that the specified packages
    in the source code can't be found during run-time because of the CLASSPATH
    environment variable (correct me if i'm wrong). I've set the following
    CLASSPATH:

    CLASSPATH=.;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\lib;D:\TIJ\code
    PATH= ... C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\bin

    So, the root of the source code is in d:\tij\code. I'm running J2SDK1.4.2_08
    now, though i've tried the 1.5.0 version first. Please, please, please, can
    anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

    Eric Beragg

    Eric Beragg, Apr 19, 2005

  2. Eric Beragg

    Rike Guest

    Eric Beragg wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > When trying to run the Assignment.class file from chapter 3 (after a
    > successfull compilation b.t.w.) i get the following error:
    >
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Assignment/class

    Did you try to run it with:

    java Assignment.class

    You should use:

    java Assignment