This is cute.

Susan Calvin

Probably wasn't seen as needed. The *code* would always wrap; they're
referring I think to just plain text, or maybe auto-formatting comments.
Either way, my personal use of that feature would be limited.

Hate to tell you this, but the code doesn't wrap, or at least it didn't
as of NB 6.7. Fortunately I mostly use Eclipse. :)

Lew

Hate to tell you this, but the code doesn't wrap, or at least it didn't
as of NB 6.7. Fortunately I mostly use Eclipse. :)

I hate to tell you this, but the code DOES wrap in the NetBeans editor, at
least since NB 3. Sometimes you have to hit the Alt-Shift-F keychord to
format the source is all. Fortunately it works the same as Eclipse. :-(

Susan Calvin

I hate to tell you this, but the code DOES wrap in the NetBeans editor,
at least since NB 3. Sometimes you have to hit the Alt-Shift-F keychord
to format the source is all. Fortunately it works the same as Eclipse.
:-(

Eh what? You can manually reformat source, but it doesn't seem to break
long lines when you do so, and if you go typing past the little red line
it just keeps going, scrolling horizontally.

Besides, why would they put "Word Wrap in Editor" in a new-features list
for version 7.0 if that feature wasn't actually new with that version?

Tom Anderson

That's called a 'hard wrap'.
Eh what? You can manually reformat source, but it doesn't seem to break
long lines when you do so, and if you go typing past the little red line
it just keeps going, scrolling horizontally.

What's lacking there is called a 'soft wrap'.

AFAIK, Eclipse doesn't soft-wrap code. I don't think it soft-wraps
anything, actually. Soft wrapping is the norm in word processors, common
in text editors, and very rare in code editors. I suspect the reasons for
that are more cultural than practical.

I think i'd quite like soft wrapping in some situations, such editing
large XML files, and for comments in code - in fact, if an IDE could
soft-wrap block comments but nothing else, that would be superb.
Besides, why would they put "Word Wrap in Editor" in a new-features list
for version 7.0 if that feature wasn't actually new with that version?

Maybe they have British politicians writing the release notes. They don't
seem to see any problem with re-announcing an old policy as if it was
brand new.

tom

Lew

Susan said:
Eh what? You can manually reformat source, but it doesn't seem to break
long lines when you do so, and if you go typing past the little red line
it just keeps going, scrolling horizontally.

And this differs from Eclipse in what way?
Besides, why would they put "Word Wrap in Editor" in a new-features list
for version 7.0 if that feature wasn't actually new with that version?

markspace addressed this question. Didn't you see his response?