Time Conversions

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Trevor, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    I am using a US server, and my server times are USA times.

    Is there a way convert American times to British?

    Example
    =======

    My customer orders an item, and I show an Order History, but it says
    he ordered it at 3.00 am because it was 3.00 am in Illinois. I need it
    to show the time in the UK, since the customer is in the UK, normally.

    Of course, an extension to this is to read headers and then show the
    customer's time according to his country location. I don't know how
    accurate that method is, and how reliable headers are (eg if ISP
    logons go through the USA as AOL used to do.)

    I see something like this:

    custLand = getCountry(Header)
    convertTime(custLand)
    Trevor, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Trevor

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Trevor said...

    > My customer orders an item, and I show an Order History, but it says
    > he ordered it at 3.00 am because it was 3.00 am in Illinois. I need it
    > to show the time in the UK, since the customer is in the UK, normally.

    set the server time to GMT or change the date function in the script
    to GMT or show both the server time and GMT time on the order.

    > Of course, an extension to this is to read headers and then show the
    > customer's time according to his country location.

    there is no reliable way to determine what the country of origin is

    --
    23/September/2003 03:57:46 pm
    brucie, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Trevor wrote:

    > My customer orders an item, and I show an Order History, but it says
    > he ordered it at 3.00 am because it was 3.00 am in Illinois. I need it
    > to show the time in the UK, since the customer is in the UK, normally.
    >
    > Of course, an extension to this is to read headers and then show the
    > customer's time according to his country location.

    Why try to find out where they live from their HTTP headers? Presumably
    you know where the customer lives because you have their billing address.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Trevor

    SteW Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > In post <>
    > Trevor said...
    >

    >>My customer orders an item, and I show an Order History, but it says
    >>he ordered it at 3.00 am because it was 3.00 am in Illinois. I need it
    >>to show the time in the UK, since the customer is in the UK, normally.

    > set the server time to GMT or change the date function in the script
    > to GMT or show both the server time and GMT time on the order.

    Gets messy with different British Summer Time and other implementations
    of daylight saving times beginning and ending at different times.

    Ste W
    SteW, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Trevor

    brucie Guest

    In post <bkp61k$73m$>
    SteW said...

    >> set the server time to GMT or change the date function in the script
    >> to GMT or show both the server time and GMT time on the order.

    > Gets messy with different British Summer Time and other implementations
    > of daylight saving times beginning and ending at different times.

    show the time GMT, it'll give everyone a common frame of reference to
    workout their time of order from if for some reason they want to know
    it.

    --
    23/September/2003 08:18:47 pm
    brucie, Sep 23, 2003
  6. Trevor

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:07:48 +0000 (UTC), SteW wrote:

    <snip>

    >> set the server time to GMT or change the date function in the script
    >> to GMT or show both the server time and GMT time on the order.
    >>

    >Gets messy with different British Summer Time and other implementations
    >of daylight saving times beginning and ending at different times.

    Last time I looked GMT was independent of daylight savings :)

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    NB switch saville for nospam in address
    Dave Saville, Sep 24, 2003