Tix + Python + Windows?

Josh

I've been trying to get Tix running with Python on Windows. Since
there is no binary distributions of Tix for Windows, it seems the
easiest way to install Tix is through IDiscovery's IDEStudio 1.9
(http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/Idle/). This went fine and I
ran the "Install Tix into Python" option at the end of the
installation, with the target Python installation being the Python 2.2
I just mentioned. I also ran the "Run Tix demos" option at the end of
the installation, which also worked fine and presented the usual
tixwidgets.py demo. However, when I tried running

from a Python 2.2 prompt, I got the following error:

error reading package index file
C:/Python22/tcl/tix8.1/pkgIndex.tcl: invalid command name
"lt}]}"

The only mention of this problem I can find is at:

http://issues.bigasterisk.com/hiss/issue36

but there doesn't seem to be a clear resolution put forth. By the
way, IDEStudio 1.9 comes with a stand-alone Python 2.1 binary and the
Tix demo it ran at the end of installation was actually just a batch
file containing

tix8183.exe ..\..\Demos\Tcl\tixwidgets.tcl

Has anyone else had any problems with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
josh

Michael Peuser

Yea - same problem some weeks ago. It seems to be a corrupted TCL script of
just minor significance.
I just deleted that line and the next braced section....
You need no tcl knowledge for that - just some feeling ;-)
No problem so far, but I do not use TIX tjat often - it was a try with PAGE
GUI-Builder

Kndly
Michael P

Josh said:
[...]

Kevin Mote

I too have had this problem on my Win machines (Linux doesn't have the
problem). (I actually got the message twice in a row every time I
instantiated Tk()).
So I commented out lines 30-37 of pkgIndex.tcl as follows:

# lt}]} {
# set tail [file join [pwd] $tail]
# break
# }
# }
# cd $pwd
# package ifneeded Tix 8.1 [list load $tail Tix]
# unset dirs pwd elt tail

It seems to work fine now for me too (no error message). We'll see if
any new errors crop up.
The question is, does anyone have a current version of pkgIndex.tcl
without the obvious typo?

Josh said:
I've been trying to get Tix running with Python on Windows. Since
there is no binary distributions of Tix for Windows, it seems the
easiest way to install Tix is through IDiscovery's IDEStudio 1.9
(http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/Idle/). This went fine and I
ran the "Install Tix into Python" option at the end of the
installation, with the target Python installation being the Python 2.2
I just mentioned. I also ran the "Run Tix demos" option at the end of
the installation, which also worked fine and presented the usual
tixwidgets.py demo. However, when I tried running
import Tix
root = Tix.Tk()