Tix + Python + Windows?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Josh, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Josh

    Josh Guest

    I've been trying to get Tix running with Python on Windows. Since
    there is no binary distributions of Tix for Windows, it seems the
    easiest way to install Tix is through IDiscovery's IDEStudio 1.9
    (http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/Idle/). This went fine and I
    ran the "Install Tix into Python" option at the end of the
    installation, with the target Python installation being the Python 2.2
    I just mentioned. I also ran the "Run Tix demos" option at the end of
    the installation, which also worked fine and presented the usual
    tixwidgets.py demo. However, when I tried running

    >>> import Tix
    >>> root = Tix.Tk()

    from a Python 2.2 prompt, I got the following error:

    error reading package index file
    C:/Python22/tcl/tix8.1/pkgIndex.tcl: invalid command name
    "lt}]}"

    The only mention of this problem I can find is at:

    http://issues.bigasterisk.com/hiss/issue36

    but there doesn't seem to be a clear resolution put forth. By the
    way, IDEStudio 1.9 comes with a stand-alone Python 2.1 binary and the
    Tix demo it ran at the end of installation was actually just a batch
    file containing

    tix8183.exe ..\..\Demos\Tcl\tixwidgets.tcl

    Has anyone else had any problems with this? Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    josh

    Josh, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Yea - same problem some weeks ago. It seems to be a corrupted TCL script of
    just minor significance.
    I just deleted that line and the next braced section....
    You need no tcl knowledge for that - just some feeling ;-)
    No problem so far, but I do not use TIX tjat often - it was a try with PAGE
    GUI-Builder

    Kndly
    Michael P

    Michael Peuser, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Josh

    Kevin Mote Guest

    I too have had this problem on my Win machines (Linux doesn't have the
    problem). (I actually got the message twice in a row every time I
    instantiated Tk()).
    So I commented out lines 30-37 of pkgIndex.tcl as follows:

    # lt}]} {
    # set tail [file join [pwd] $tail]
    # break
    # }
    # }
    # cd $pwd
    # package ifneeded Tix 8.1 [list load $tail Tix]
    # unset dirs pwd elt tail

    It seems to work fine now for me too (no error message). We'll see if
    any new errors crop up.
    The question is, does anyone have a current version of pkgIndex.tcl
    without the obvious typo?

    Kevin Mote, Sep 5, 2003