    ==========
    daniel

    , Oct 7, 2008

  2. Ian Collins Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi folks........
    > I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help me.

    Somewhat, at least you know how write and compile programs.

    > I require it for my job,How many days will it take to learn?

    I've been using C++ for sixteen years and I'm still learning.

    If you are familiar with C, get a copy of Accelerated C++.

    http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Oct 7, 2008

  3. anon Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi folks........
    > I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help me.I
    > require it for my job,How many days will it take to learn?

    Read this:
    http://norvig.com/21-days.html
    and you might get an estimate how long it should take you.
    anon, Oct 7, 2008
  4. minix09 Guest

    On Oct 7, 8:29 am, wrote:
    > Hi folks........
    > I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help me.I
    > require it for my job,How many days will it take to learn?
    >
    > ==========
    > daniel

    read it for begining...
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    one of the best site i used... :)
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Andy
    minix09, Oct 7, 2008
  5. a_linux_user Guest

    http://www.icce.rug.nl/docs/cplusplus/

    I like the above site a lot. Especially for someone trying to make a
    transition from C to C++, it is quite nice.

    Another nice site is http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~adnan/C /

    Both these are ad-free sites, with just pure good quality free
    content. I am thankful to the authors of the documents.

    BUT, as others have pointed out: one has to practice a lot. I am
    trying to make a transition from "C with classes" to C++. It is
    gradual, but to begin with these are some things I try to do: use STL
    when possible, use references, learn to use const when possible, try
    to avoid pointer arithmetic, use the library facilities when you can
    rather than reinventing the wheel (that is not quite circular) ...
    Sometimes my first version of a program looks a lot like C (and a bit
    dirty, although this is not to say C is dirty), but then I make an
    effort to clean it up, and simplify it, and often I notice that using
    some C++ features, I can simplify the code, make it more readable,
    safer, ... I am no expert, so I welcome some experts to comment on
    what I have suggested above.

    a_linux_user, Oct 7, 2008
  6. wrote:
    > Hi folks........
    > I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help me.I
    > require it for my job,How many days will it take to learn?

    Opinions whether a knowledge of C helps learning C++ vary.
    I'm in the it-hinders camp. Using C++ as a better C means
    missing a huge percentage of its most powerful feature set.
    I second the recommendation of "Accelerated C++" by Koenig
    and Moo. It's excellent, although it has quite a steep
    learning curve. The 2nd edition of Meyers' "Effective C++"
    was aimed at former C programmers (the current, 3rd, is
    more aimed at converts coming from other languages) and is
    a very good 2nd C++ book to read.
    Expect to need years, not days, weeks, or months, to become
    a good professional C++ programmer. Expect to need weeks or
    even months, not days, to become a C++ novice.
    Subscribe to some beginner's forum and ask early and often.
    There's nothing like discussing your ideas to find out that,
    why, and where they're wrong.

    HTH,

    Schobi
    Hendrik Schober, Oct 7, 2008
  7. James Kanze Guest

    On Oct 7, 11:34 am, Hendrik Schober <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help
    > > me.I require it for my job,How many days will it take to
    > > learn?

    > Opinions whether a knowledge of C helps learning C++ vary.

    There are some ways it certainly helps. If you know C, then you
    already know how to use an editor to create source code, and
    invoke a compiler to compile and link a program. You also have
    a grasp of some important basics, like lexical blocks. You know
    what a loop is, and what a conditional statement is, and a
    function. And if you're not in an English speaking country,
    you've managed to figure out how to enter things like { or |
    with your keyboard.

    Judging from some of the questions we see here, those are
    already significant steps. If you know neither C nor C++, and
    the goal is to learn C++, then going through C will only take
    more time, since you'll have to learn a lot of things which are
    irrelevant, or even which should be avoided in C++. But if you
    already know C, for whatever reasons, and realize the limits of
    applying your knowledge of it to C++, then it can certainly
    help.

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Oct 7, 2008
  8. James Kanze wrote:
    > On Oct 7, 11:34 am, Hendrik Schober <> wrote:
    > [...]
    >> Opinions whether a knowledge of C helps learning C++ vary.

    > There are some ways it certainly helps. [...]

    I know and I agree with your examples.
    I was applying my statement to the overall-helpfulness.
    I have been teaching C++ and IME those who already know
    C (or Java, FTM) need to unlearn a lot of things which
    are considered bad habits in C++. Usually, this greatly
    outweighed the advantages.
    But that's just my opinion, others may have different
    ones.

    Schobi
    Hendrik Schober, Oct 7, 2008
  9. Rashad Guest

    you must do small projects in c++ , you create existing applications
    in your own way.
    you can find a better gui tookit on www.fox-toolkit.org www.fox-tookit.net

    c++ is not a better C
    it has its own existence. do never follow C coding in C++ . understand
    c++ concepts and write
    c++ code which includes more than 80% of c++ features.

    c++ annotation whic is available free of charge on debian linux OS
    will be a good guide

    using gnu c++ compiler / other standard comipler
    Rashad, Oct 7, 2008

    On Oct 6, 11:29 pm, wrote:
    > Hi folks........
    > I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help me.I
    > require it for my job,

    > How many days will it take to learn?

    I agree with others that it will take *years*
    to become a good C++ programmer, but that's
    true of any other language as well. It's
    just truer for C++ since the language is
    so incredibly deep, with so many non-obvious
    interactions among the various features.

    I would suggest reading the books recommended
    above, and for help I recommend the Wikipedia
    Computing Reference Desk:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Computing

    A number of professional C++ programmers hang
    out there, and the desk is focused on giving
    good answers to what the questioner probably
    meant, rather than comp.lang.c++'s strength
    in pointing out the various flaws in question,
    grammar, and choice of newsgroup in which to
    post.

    Sean
    , Oct 7, 2008
  11. asm23 Guest

    anon wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hi folks........
    >> I want to learn C++,I already know C Language,will that help me.I
    >> require it for my job,How many days will it take to learn?

    > Read this:
    > http://norvig.com/21-days.html
    > and you might get an estimate how long it should take you.

    This is a great article, since I have being learning and using C++ more
    than four years, I still think I'm a more like beginner than an expert.
    asm23, Oct 7, 2008
  12. James Kanze Guest

    On Oct 7, 2:22 pm, Hendrik Schober <> wrote:
    > James Kanze wrote:
    > > On Oct 7, 11:34 am, Hendrik Schober <> wrote:
    > > [...]
    > >> Opinions whether a knowledge of C helps learning C++ vary.

    > > There are some ways it certainly helps. [...]

    > I know and I agree with your examples.
    > I was applying my statement to the overall-helpfulness.
    > I have been teaching C++ and IME those who already know
    > C (or Java, FTM) need to unlearn a lot of things which
    > are considered bad habits in C++. Usually, this greatly
    > outweighed the advantages.
    > But that's just my opinion, others may have different
    > ones.

    I think the problem is that C++ looks too much like C. Knowing
    one language (should) always help in learning a second, as long
    as you only apply what is applicable. The problem in this case
    is that many C'isms pass the C++ compiler, and do work. But I
    don't like the idea of saying "you have to unlearn them";
    they're still valid C. You just have to ignore them when
    learning C++. And you can still benefit from the things that do
    apply (like how to enter a { or | with a European keyboard).

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:
    James Kanze, Oct 8, 2008