To table or not to table?

dorayme

Jim S said:
dorayme wrote concerning "max-width"

Oh dear, I imagine most of the world uses IE6/7 and the workarounds I have
used before usually are unvalidatable.

I forgot to address this bit. IE6 is being used less and less and
those wedded to IE are moving to IE7. IE 7 respects max and min
width I understand. But even for IE6, there are ways to talk to
it alone, you can set widths (as distinguished from max-widths)
especially for it, to limit the problem. "Perfect" validation
needs to be seen with perspective. A validator does not really
know what you are doing, it can only apply rigid standards. It
does not know that something which every browser but IE6 cannot
see or ignores is not such a bad thing.

But if it is too complicated to go into such things, don't. But
do not be frightened to use max-width, almost all modern browsers
respect it. Let IE6 make things as wide as it likes! You can't
solve all the world's problems.

Bergamot

BootNic said:
For Firefox and Seamonkey all one has to do is tab about until the body
has focus. Once the body has focus you can scroll all you like with the
keyboard.

Oh, that is sooooooooo user-friendly. Load the page, and hit the down
arrow or Page Down key. Nothing happens. Unless there is something about
your content that I absolutely must have, it's a lot easier to just go
elsewhere.