Tomcat 4.1.29 ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in Compiler.isOutDated

siarsky

Hello,

situation
- Tomcat 4.1.29
- JDK 1.2.2
- SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880

1. we made update on 15. December 2003 and the application was running
without problem till 22.12.2003

2. On 22.12.2003 all JSPs were not working, the problem was:
(error message in log file):

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.isOutDated(Compiled Code)
at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.isOutDated(Compiled Code)
at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(Compiled Code)

3. we have restarted the Tomcat and everything was OK

4. what we discovered is:

A)
cd /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/intranet/

ls -l bottom_frame.jsp

-r-xr-xr-x 1 root other 16770 Dec 15 17:18 bottom_frame.jsp

so, the last update was made on 15.December at 17:18

B)
cd /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/intranet/intranet/CDA

ls -l bottom_frame.*

-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 18498 Dec 22 11:00 bottom_frame_jsp.class
-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 26154 Dec 22 11:00 bottom_frame_jsp.java

,but Jakarta recompiled this JSP on 22. December. This JSP is called
fast every time, so it is not possible, that this was the first call
of the JSP.
Exactly at this time we run into this problems.

My question:

1. is it common, that Jakarta recompiled some JSP even if they
did not change?
2. is it possible to force Jakarta to compile only once and not anymore?

My feeling is, that the Jakarta after compilation compares some dates,
which do not much.

Thanks for your hints, how to find out the problem
Branislav