Transient Questions, about internal URLs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by smackedass, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello

    (I know next to nothing about HTML. Please accept this humble admission
    along with an attestation that I'm a believer in the "Teach a man to fish"
    philosphy, and that if this is one of those forums where people are
    resentful of passing along easy answers, I'd love to know of a site/sites
    where I could find out about this, for myself)

    I work for a company, let's call it mycompany.com. The company has an
    extensive, and, dare I say, mis-organized internal Web site. Some of the
    links have URLs that are longer than my arm, like
    http://mycompany.com/8080/neast/methodsandprocedures/124/asp (that was a
    simulation), and I can add that in to my drop-down list of run commands.

    Some of the internal links, however, have hidden "sub" (again, pardon my
    ignorance) URLs, such as the link to the QA page, whose visible URL is only
    http://mycompany.com. Therefore, the only way to get to the QA page is to
    follow all of the links (there are at least 4 or 5 of them, to get there).

    The company also does not like users to have desktop shortcuts, and all
    users have been sent an email stating that all of the computers are going to
    be re-imaged, deleting all desktop shortcuts, and no longer allowing the
    creation of desktop shortcuts. Personally, I think that this is moronic,
    and anticipate that this feeble-minded approach towards micro-management
    will soon also not allow the addition of shortcuts to the Start menu, which
    I use regularly, and which saves me much time and aggravation.

    So much for the backdrop...now my questions...

    1) How do the programmers hide the code, within the URL, that would allow an
    end-user to bypass all of the intermediary links, and get directly to the QA
    page, for example? I guess I'm not looking for a technical explanation, as
    much as a practical method to get to the QA page quickly.

    2) If I can no longer create icon shortcuts on the desktop or in the start
    menu, and if I can't save my links (since they're not visible) as Run
    commands, is there anything else that I can do to save myself much-needed
    time?

    3) The company's own search engine can't find its own QA page (!); is this
    by design, or a result of the hidden URL code's inability to search its own
    site?

    Thank you.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Aug 8, 2004

  2. "smackedass" <> wrote:

    > 1) a practical method to get to the QA
    > page quickly.

    Use a ... shortcut! And store it on ...

    > 2) If I can no longer create icon shortcuts on the desktop or in the
    > start menu, and if I can't save my links (since they're not visible)
    > as Run commands, is there anything else that I can do to save myself
    > much-needed time?

    .... a floppy disk.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Aug 8, 2004

  3. smackedass

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <bwpRc.16062$>,
    says...
    > Hello
    > So much for the backdrop...now my questions...
    > 1)... I guess I'm not looking for a technical explanation, as
    > much as a practical method to get to the QA page quickly.

    Uh, add the page to favorites?

    > 2) If I can no longer create icon shortcuts on the desktop or in the start
    > menu, and if I can't save my links (since they're not visible) as Run
    > commands, is there anything else that I can do to save myself much-needed
    > time?

    Uh, add the page to favorites?

    > 3) The company's own search engine can't find its own QA page (!); is this
    > by design, or a result of the hidden URL code's inability to search its own
    > site?

    By design? Probably not. Because of design, probably so.

    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com

    Webcastmaker, Aug 8, 2004
  4. In article <bwpRc.16062$>,
    "smackedass" <> wrote:

    > Some of the internal links, however, have hidden "sub" (again, pardon my
    > ignorance) URLs, such as the link to the QA page, whose visible URL is only
    > http://mycompany.com. Therefore, the only way to get to the QA page is to
    > follow all of the links (there are at least 4 or 5 of them, to get there).

    That sounds like frames are being used.

    > I guess I'm not looking for a technical explanation, as
    > much as a practical method to get to the QA page quickly.

    Next time you get to it, right-click or ctrl-click -- or whatever your
    operating system needs you to do to pop up a context menu -- on QA page
    itself. Hopefully, you'll get a menu saying "Open frame in new window"
    or some such. Select that option: the page should open in a new window
    with its full URL visible in the address bar.

    Or, view the source for the original framed page (the browser should be
    able to provide that too), and extract the URL for the QA page from the
    FRAME elements in the source.

    > 3) The company's own search engine can't find its own QA page (!); is this
    > by design, or a result of the hidden URL code's inability to search its own
    > site?

    I have this vague recollection of someone, long ago, saying something
    like "frames are bad", but can't for the life of me recall who, where or
    why. ;-)

    --
    Joel.

    http://www.cv6.org/
    "May she also say with just pride:
    I have done the State some service."

    Joel Shepherd, Aug 8, 2004
  5. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    Thank you all for responding. Mr. Shepherd, if that does work, a special ;]
    thanks to you.

    By the way, what is a frame?

    smackedass

    smackedass, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Webcastmaker <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Uh, add the page to favorites?

    Or, in the better browsers, bookmarks. (That's the traditional
    terminology for this function, which Microsoft has perverted.)

    --
    Dan

    Daniel R. Tobias, Aug 9, 2004