    and if not too difficult what language would you recommend writing it
    in, I'm guessing either Java or VB?
    Thanks!!!
    steve_marjoribanks, Nov 28, 2005

  2. steve_marjoribanks

    Peter Flynn Guest

    steve_marjoribanks wrote:

    > I am currently doing quite a bit of work on a data exchange format in
    > XML. As part of this I need to use XLink and XPointer attributes quite
    > frequently as one of the requirements is for the data in the documents
    > to be 'linked' to its source. Currently, as far as I'm aware there is
    > very little (if any) software/browser support for XPointer.

    XPointer is based on the Extended Pointer Notation as defined in the
    Guidelines of the Text Encoding Initiative (www.tei-c.org). The only
    freely-available implementation I know of is David Megginson's Emacs
    psgml-xpointer.el which returns an XPointer for the current node (ie
    where the cursor is). See
    http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/meggXPointerEmacs.html

    > My question is that would it be possible (and if so how difficult) for
    > me to write a small application which could use the XPointer stuff.
    > ie. you could load an XML document into it and through some sort of
    > very simple interface it could say retrieve the source of the required
    > data when asked to and display it in another frame for example?

    Would this be similar to what xpathtester already does for XPaths?
    See http://www.xslt.com/html/xsl-list/2001-12/msg00055.html

    See also the FAQ at http://xml.silmaril.ie/authors/links/ where I give
    a trivial example.

    > What are everyone's views on this? How difficult would it be to write,
    > and if not too difficult what language would you recommend writing it
    > in, I'm guessing either Java or VB?

    VB would be restricted to Microsoft users only and would be strongly
    deprecated. Java would have much wider application.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Thanks for the response. I couldn't fine the Emacs psgml-xpointer.el on
    the site. Also the Fivesight website, or at least the downloads section
    doesn't seem to want to load. From the description in the discussion
    post you posted though it does sound similar to what I am after but I
    am considering writing an XPointer visualiser. Being very new to Java,
    does anyone have any idea how easy this would be to implement?
    Thanks
    steve_marjoribanks, Nov 29, 2005
  4. steve_marjoribanks

    Peter Flynn Guest

    steve_marjoribanks wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. I couldn't fine the Emacs psgml-xpointer.el
    > on the site.

    I'm sorry, my finger must have slipped.
    It's at http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/psgml-xpointer-el-19990304.txt

    I've placed a copy at http://xml.silmaril.ie/xpathtester_1_4_saxon.jar

    > From the description in the
    > discussion post you posted though it does sound similar to what I am
    > after but I am considering writing an XPointer visualiser.

    XPathTester is an XPath visualizer.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Thank you. Is there any documentation for XPathTester?
    steve_marjoribanks, Nov 30, 2005
  6. steve_marjoribanks

    Peter Flynn Guest

    steve_marjoribanks wrote:

    > Thank you. Is there any documentation for XPathTester?

    I've never seen any, but all it does is open an XML document and let
    you type an XPath statement, and highlight the matching node.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Mozilla/Firefox already include pretty good XLink and XPointer
    support:
    http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/xml/#linking

    ht
    Half-time member of W3C Team