True answer re timeouts

Laphan

Hi Guys

I've been using text files for Tab-Delimited/ADO/ASP sites so that users can
update and display their products lists through my system with relative
ease.

Only problem is that for the last few months or so, this system has been
generating loads of timeouts. ISP has said that I should be looking to
upgrade my system, as it is the mechanics of it that are creaking under the
strain. My queries are:

a) Which REALLY performs better OLEDB DSN-less or ODBC DSN-less?

b) If I convert the system to use 1 Access DB rather than 50-odd
tab-delimited text files will this REALLY perform better in relation to
timeouts?

To give you some idea of the problems, the site can viewed by going to
www.bardwells.co.uk and clicking the Product List link.

I just can't understand it because the pages on the whole are very lean and
zippy (esp. ADSL), but its these exact same Broadband users who seem to have
more trouble with timeouts than dial-up ones.

We're not talking Marks & Sparks here, but they do get quite a few visitors.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Rgds

Laphan

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

a) Which REALLY performs better OLEDB DSN-less or ODBC DSN-less?

OLEDB. ODBC is being deprecated, partly because it is just a
performance-sucking layer.
b) If I convert the system to use 1 Access DB rather than 50-odd
tab-delimited text files will this REALLY perform better in relation to
timeouts?

It will perform better in relation to just about everything, IMHO. Even
better would be SQL Server 2000, MSDE edition. Of course we can't really
say because there are too many other factors; the only way you'll know for
sure is if you test, in your environment, with your typical usage, behavior
and traffic levels.

Raymond D'Anjou \(raydan\)

partly because it is just a performance-sucking layer.
Could have made a great joke but out of respect for the newsgroup, I'm tying
my hands behind my

Laphan

Thanks for the lightening feedback guys

Rgds

Laphan

Raymond D'Anjou (raydan) said:
partly because it is just a performance-sucking layer.
Could have made a great joke but out of respect for the newsgroup, I'm tying
my hands behind my

Laphan

RE: last para, I'm using Tab-Delimited/OLEDB/ADO/ASP not FSO.

My new query on this is, is there any performance issue between using CSV
files and Tab-delimited ones? The user seems to think that the problems
started when I changed them over to tab-delimited, but this can't make a
difference - can it??

Rgds

Laphan

In Laphan <[email protected]> typed:
: Hi Guys
:
[snipped..]
: I just can't understand it because the pages on the whole are very
: lean and zippy (esp. ADSL), but its these exact same Broadband users
: who seem to have more trouble with timeouts than dial-up ones.
[...snipped]

Whether they(the client PC) have Dial-up, ADSL, a little mouse, etc really
makes no difference at all since it's the script on the *server* that is
timing out not the *client*.

As far as you're other concerns, a database is almost always more efficent
that reading from text files using FSO and Split.

Don