Trusted SQL Server connection

Ray Valenti

I am able to preview this data in the development environment, but when I
run the application the error below shows up.
How do I set up a Trusted Connection?

-Ray

Server Error in '/WebApplication2' Application.
----

Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
'(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Chris Bower

In your connection string are you providing a user name?
To set up a Trusted Connection the web server would have to be a member of
the domain the SQL server is in (or at least a trusted domain) and you would
need to set up an account for whatever user you have the ASPNET_wp process
running under.

You may be able to browse in preview mode because of your domain account
having an account on the sql server?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

At design time you're running under your user account, which SQL Server
apparently trusts.
However at runtime (by default) ASP.NET runs under a user account named
ASPNET.
Make sure this user is also established in your SQL Server database as a
trusted user.

Ray Valenti

Chris,

The connection string is:

strConnect = @"data source=MYSERVER;initial catalog=MainDb;integrated
security=SSPI;persist security info=True;workstation id=MYWORKSTAT;packet
size=4096";

I tried a different version with a user id and password and get the same
message about not being a trusted connection.

Login failed for user 'Ray'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.

With ADO I would use a DSN the string would be just "DSN=MyDSN"

The Ray user does have an account on the server.

Chris Bower

integrated security=SSPI

Thats the culprit right there. I believe removing that section of your
connection string and then adding the user id and password back in should
work. However, if you want to use Integrated Security you can just give your
ASPNET account a SQL account. If the sql server is on the same machine its
easy to do, if not, you'll need to change what process the aspnet_wp runs
under to a domain account and then grant the domain account access to your
sql db.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

There are a couple of ways to do this. Most likely the string is set up with
SSPI, which requires the accounts accessing are trusted in the domain to
access SQL Server.

But, the issue can also be tied to the client libraries. If the library used
is named pipes, the server is stricter on who is trusted than TCP/IP. Watch
dinking around with the client libraries too much, however, as you can
introduce security holes.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Ray Valenti

Both TCP/IP and Named pipes are enabled on the client machine. I even moved
the database to my local machine and still get an error.

If I can configure a DSN why can't I use that as the connection string? Why
can't the connection string specify any user (me) thereby providing the same
rights?

I have a Win 2000 small business server, my client machine is XP. How can I
provide rights for the ASPNET user?

Login failed for user 'GORILLAZ\ASPNET'.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
'GORILLAZ\ASPNET'.