trying to get started with simple xml stuff - use xalan ?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Larry, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I am a C++/Java programmer trying to get going with some simpe xml
    transformations at work here. I bought the O'Reilly book
    Learning xlst for kicks. Someone at work sent me this
    xml shown below, they wanted me to try to output some simple
    text which summarizes the basic data in the xml and do it without
    perl.
    After that I guess they will want me to convert other xml files
    into some kind of text file I am assuming. I downloaded xalan,
    but I'm not sure if the NT version
    will work on windows 2000. It appeard to not have a binary
    file in the samples directory and I didn't see a C version for windows
    2000
    in the binaries directory of the download site. Should I go with the
    java version ? The book says to get the C version. What difference
    does it make ? I'm busy with a bunch of other stuff but am trying to
    get a feel for xslt on the side and decide whether I like it or not
    etc. I did some work with an xml parser in Java using DTD. Someone
    else had actually started the project and left and I did some work on
    it. Most of the xml stuff had allready been done
    so I didn't get alot of xml exposure from that, though it's obviously
    not rocket science.

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <cust>
    <cust_detail indiv_id="123" name="Nilesh" />
    <cust_detail indiv_id="456" name="Larry" />
    </cust>
    Larry, Feb 19, 2004

  2. (Larry) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am a C++/Java programmer trying to get going with some simpe xml
    > transformations at work here. I bought the O'Reilly book
    > Learning xlst for kicks. Someone at work sent me this
    > xml shown below, they wanted me to try to output some simple
    > text which summarizes the basic data in the xml and do it without
    > perl.
    > After that I guess they will want me to convert other xml files
    > into some kind of text file I am assuming. I downloaded xalan,
    > but I'm not sure if the NT version
    > will work on windows 2000. It appeard to not have a binary
    > file in the samples directory and I didn't see a C version for windows
    > 2000
    > in the binaries directory of the download site. Should I go with the
    > java version ? The book says to get the C version. What difference
    > does it make ? I'm busy with a bunch of other stuff but am trying to
    > get a feel for xslt on the side and decide whether I like it or not
    > etc. I did some work with an xml parser in Java using DTD. Someone
    > else had actually started the project and left and I did some work on
    > it. Most of the xml stuff had allready been done
    > so I didn't get alot of xml exposure from that, though it's obviously
    > not rocket science.
    >

    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    > <cust>
    > <cust_detail indiv_id="123" name="Nilesh" />
    > <cust_detail indiv_id="456" name="Larry" />
    > </cust>

    If you simply want to experiment with xslt, or do very simple transformations,
    on a Windows 2000 box, I suggest you simply use the msxsl utility.

    To quote Microsoft:

    "The msxsl.exe command line utility enables you to perform command line
    Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) transformations using the Microsoft
    XSL processor. Less than 30 kilobytes (KB) in size, the msxsl.exe utility
    invokes the Microsoft XML Parser 4.0 (msxml4.dll) to perform the
    transformation."

    -F
    Finnbarr P. Murphy, Feb 21, 2004