Trying to install Apache AXIS on WAS 4 AE

sarah chang

I'm trying to install Apache AXIS on Websphere 4 Advanced Edition.

Everything appears to go fine, and the AXIS homepage appears fine.
However, when I try to follow any links from the homepage I get an
error on the web-browser like this:

Error 404: JSPG0113E: JSP file
"/usr/WebSphere/AppServerAE/temp/mynode/myapp/AXIS
/axis.war/_happyaxis_jsp_0.java (A file or directory in the path name
does not
exist.)" not found

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

S :)

Ken Hygh

sarah said:
I'm trying to install Apache AXIS on Websphere 4 Advanced Edition.

Everything appears to go fine, and the AXIS homepage appears fine.
However, when I try to follow any links from the homepage I get an
error on the web-browser like this:

Error 404: JSPG0113E: JSP file
"/usr/WebSphere/AppServerAE/temp/mynode/myapp/AXIS
/axis.war/_happyaxis_jsp_0.java (A file or directory in the path name
does not
exist.)" not found

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

S :)

How did you install Axis? It appears that the plugin doesn't know about it.

Ken

Todd Kaplinger

Can you post the exception that is in the logs. This appears to b a
rather strange message since you are not likely requesting the .java
file (especially from the temp directory).

Ken Hygh

sarah said:
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your response.

I tried two different methods of installing Axis. First I used a
Module install instruction in a TCL script. Then I tried using the
"Install Enterprise Application" wizard from the Websphere
Adminstration Console to install AXIS as a standalone module .WAR
file. Both gave the same result.

By the way, I should point out that the directory
"/usr/WebSphere/AppServerAE/temp/mynode/myapp" doesn't even exist!

Also, I've used the identical .WAR file in Tomcat and Weblogic and
both work fine. So I don't think it's the .WAR file that's the
problem.

Thanks so much!

What is the exact URL you're trying to hit? this almost looks like the
plugin doesn't know that this has been installed. Try regenerating the
plugin, bouncing the http server, and see what happens.

Ken

sarah chang

Subject: Re: Trying to install Apache AXIS on WAS 4 AE
Newsgroups: >ibm.software.websphere.application-server.as400,ibm.software.websphere.application-se\rver,ibm.software.websphere.studio.application-site-developer,ibm.software.websphere.studio,comp.\lang.java.programmer
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:19:01 -0500
Can you post the exception that is in the logs. This appears to b a
rather strange message since you are not likely requesting the .java
file (especially from the temp directory).

Hi Todd,

There is NO error in the logs! Somewhat strange, I know. Actually,
there are several errors complaining about things like

" unable to access file /usr/WebSphere/AppServerAE/logs/activity.log"
and

"[1/28/04 20:36:45:777 PST] 72b8addb WebGroup X Servlet
Error-[SOAPMonitorService]: Failed to load servlet:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet"

but i'm told that these are a regular occurrence and they haven't
stopped other webapps from working on the same server.

Todd Kaplinger

Are you by chance running the server as non-root? This appears to be a
permissions problem.

From: Todd Kaplinger <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: >ibm.software.websphere.application-server.as400,ibm.software.websphere.application-se\rver,ibm.software.websphere.studio.application-site-developer,ibm.software.websphere.studio,comp.\lang.java.programmer
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:19:01 -0500

Can you post the exception that is in the logs. This appears to b a
rather strange message since you are not likely requesting the .java
file (especially from the temp directory).

Hi Todd,

There is NO error in the logs! Somewhat strange, I know. Actually,
there are several errors complaining about things like

" unable to access file /usr/WebSphere/AppServerAE/logs/activity.log"
and

"[1/28/04 20:36:45:777 PST] 72b8addb WebGroup X Servlet
Error-[SOAPMonitorService]: Failed to load servlet:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet"

but i'm told that these are a regular occurrence and they haven't
stopped other webapps from working on the same server.

Hi Todd,

The server is running as root.

sarah chang

Ken Hygh said:
What is the exact URL you're trying to hit? this almost looks like the
plugin doesn't know that this has been installed. Try regenerating the
plugin, bouncing the http server, and see what happens.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm just trying to hit the "AXIS Happiness" page at
http://my.websphere.instance/axis/happyaxis.jsp

How do I "regenerate the plugin"? Does that mean reinstall the WAR?
I have done that several times.

Thanks,