Trying to install IIS 7 app on IIS 8

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Thielen, Aug 29, 2008.

  1. This app works fine on IIS 7 on WIndows 2003. On IIS 8/Windows 2008
    I'm getting the below error. One note, the DLL listed is written in
    J#.

    Any ideas?

    thanks - dave

    Server Error in '/apps' Application.

    Could not load file or assembly 'Apache.Crimson' or one of its
    dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect
    format.

    Exception Details: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file
    or assembly 'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt
    was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly
    'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
    load a program with an incorrect format.]
    System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String
    codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
    StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
    forIntrospection) +0
    System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
    Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
    forIntrospection) +465
    System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
    Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
    forIntrospection) +181
    System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +42

    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String
    assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +190

    [ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly
    'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
    load a program with an incorrect format.]

    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String
    assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +3642952

    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory()
    +402

    System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo
    ai) +155
    System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal() +36

    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection
    compConfig) +235
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler..ctor(VirtualPath
    configPath, Boolean supportLocalization, String outputAssemblyName)
    +76

    System.Web.Compilation.CodeDirectoryCompiler.GetCodeDirectoryAssembly(VirtualPath
    virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet
    excludedSubdirectories, Boolean isDirectoryAllowed) +2945079

    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectory(VirtualPath
    virtualDir, CodeDirectoryType dirType, String assemblyName, StringSet
    excludedSubdirectories) +204
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileCodeDirectories() +615
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
    +739

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly
    'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
    load a program with an incorrect format.]

    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ReportTopLevelCompilationException()
    +79
    System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.EnsureTopLevelFilesCompiled()
    +2944472
    System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager
    appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
    configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)
    +1163

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly
    'Apache.Crimson' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to
    load a program with an incorrect format.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context)
    +2740375
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context)
    +88

    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest
    wr, HttpContext context) +2739988

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1434;
    ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1434

    david@
    Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com
    me -- http://dave.thielen.com

    David Thielen, Aug 29, 2008

  2. Hi Dave,

    From the error message you provided, it report an assembly loading failure.
    As you said, the "Apache.Crimson" assembly is compiled via J#, correct?

    Is it an add-on module (since its name indicate that it migrate a feature
    from Apache to IIS) and is it used as HttpModule or something else that is
    configured via web.config file?

    Also, how did you deploy this "Apache.Crimson" assembly on the real
    machine, in the application's private "bin" dir or installed it into GAC?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

    --------------------

    -----

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Sep 1, 2008

  3. Hi Dave,

    Have you got any progress on this issue?

    Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else we can help.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .