Trying to instantiate object causes DCOM error

Erik Anderson

There is a COM object (written in ATL) that I have been using for a little
while (in scheduled events mostly) that I am very interested in getting to
run inside of an ASP page. This site uses Windows (domain) authentication.

The error message that I am getting at this point is the following:

Error Type:
Server object, ASP 0177 (0x80070002)
80070002
/teamwork/_private/auth-ng.inc, line 9

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

The event viewer says something like the following:

Unable to start a DCOM Server
The system cannot find the file specified
"c:\tw2003\TeamCOM.exe" -Embedded

The file exists in the directory and both it and the directory have granted
Modify rights to Everybody.

These attempts were made by two domain users A and B, both of which have
Administrator rights to the IIS server and both of which have successfully
accessed this COM object outside of IIS.

Attempts by user A to access the web page from the server itself result in
this error.
Attempts by user A to access the web page from a different machine in the
same domain (no login prompt) succeed.
Attempts by user A to access the web page from a different machine outside
of the domain (login prompted) succeed.
Attempts by user B to access the web page from the server itself result in
this error.
Attempts by user B to access the web page from a different machine outside
of the domain (login prompted) succeed.
Attempts by user B to access the web page from a different machine in the
same domain (no login prompted) reported as resulting in this error.

Opening up TeamCOM.exe in a dependancy viewer shows that the only "strange"
..dll references are SHLWAPI.DLL and ODBC32.DLL

So, given all this junk, about where should I look for resolution of this
error so we can move forward on this?