trying to use javax.comm.properties package under Apple OS X

Lou

Hello,

I am currently developing a java application that interfaces a computer
to an external device that uses an RS232 port. I have an RS232/USB
addapter and the application has been able to successfully interface
the computer to the external device using the javax.com.properties
package--on Windows XP Pro.

I want to attempt to do the same thing on my Mac iBook running Apple OS
X (Tiger). But, I have not had any success using the
javax.com.properties package. When I talked to Apple Computer about
this, I was not given the support needed to fix this problem.
Apparently, there is no javax.com.properties package for Mac--running
OSX--Tiger. If there is, I am completely ignorant to it.

Is there any package for the Mac (using OSX--Tiger) that would allow me
to interface with this external device in a similar fashion to the
Windows XP Pro Box?

Again, it was rather simple on the Windows XP Pro box using the
javax.com.properties package, but I can't seen to find the same thing
on the Mac sid--with OSX Tiger.

Thanks

Steve W. Jackson

Lou said:
[...]

Before you beat up too badly on Apple, you should know that the Java
Communications API is *not* part of the standard Java environment. At
<http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/reference/faqs/index.html> it's
called a Java Standard Extension. You should be able to try downloading
it and using it with Mac OS X.

Surely you don't expect Apple to actually provide you with programming
support. Unless you've paid a premium for membership in their developer
program, they don't do that kind of thing. But there is a robust
community of Mac Java developers you can communicate with who do provide
help via a mailing list or other means. Visit Apple's developer site at
<http://developer.apple.com/java/> for info. You'll find links there to
subscribe to the mailing list as well as sample code, documentation and
more.

= Steve =

Lou

Yeah,

Going to the <http://developer.apple.com/java/> site did not help,
becuase all I want to do is ASK this question over there for ANY
guidance what so-ever. I even signed up for the ADC. It seems all
Apple is interested in doing is selling me stuff and not anwering my
question.

Well anyway, the search continues.

Martin Gregorie

If none of those cut it, try SerialPort at serialport.sourceforge.net