trying to use javax.comm.properties package under Apple OS X

Discussion in 'Java' started by Lou, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. Lou

    Lou Guest

    Hello,

    I am currently developing a java application that interfaces a computer
    to an external device that uses an RS232 port. I have an RS232/USB
    addapter and the application has been able to successfully interface
    the computer to the external device using the javax.com.properties
    package--on Windows XP Pro.

    I want to attempt to do the same thing on my Mac iBook running Apple OS
    X (Tiger). But, I have not had any success using the
    javax.com.properties package. When I talked to Apple Computer about
    this, I was not given the support needed to fix this problem.
    Apparently, there is no javax.com.properties package for Mac--running
    OSX--Tiger. If there is, I am completely ignorant to it.

    Is there any package for the Mac (using OSX--Tiger) that would allow me
    to interface with this external device in a similar fashion to the
    Windows XP Pro Box?

    Again, it was rather simple on the Windows XP Pro box using the
    javax.com.properties package, but I can't seen to find the same thing
    on the Mac sid--with OSX Tiger.

    Thanks
    Lou, Jun 21, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "Lou" <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently developing a java application that interfaces a computer
    > to an external device that uses an RS232 port. I have an RS232/USB
    > addapter and the application has been able to successfully interface
    > the computer to the external device using the javax.com.properties
    > package--on Windows XP Pro.
    >
    > I want to attempt to do the same thing on my Mac iBook running Apple OS
    > X (Tiger). But, I have not had any success using the
    > javax.com.properties package. When I talked to Apple Computer about
    > this, I was not given the support needed to fix this problem.
    > Apparently, there is no javax.com.properties package for Mac--running
    > OSX--Tiger. If there is, I am completely ignorant to it.
    >
    > Is there any package for the Mac (using OSX--Tiger) that would allow me
    > to interface with this external device in a similar fashion to the
    > Windows XP Pro Box?
    >
    > Again, it was rather simple on the Windows XP Pro box using the
    > javax.com.properties package, but I can't seen to find the same thing
    > on the Mac sid--with OSX Tiger.
    >
    > Thanks

    Before you beat up too badly on Apple, you should know that the Java
    Communications API is *not* part of the standard Java environment. At
    <http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/reference/faqs/index.html> it's
    called a Java Standard Extension. You should be able to try downloading
    it and using it with Mac OS X.

    Surely you don't expect Apple to actually provide you with programming
    support. Unless you've paid a premium for membership in their developer
    program, they don't do that kind of thing. But there is a robust
    community of Mac Java developers you can communicate with who do provide
    help via a mailing list or other means. Visit Apple's developer site at
    <http://developer.apple.com/java/> for info. You'll find links there to
    subscribe to the mailing list as well as sample code, documentation and
    more.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Steve W. Jackson, Jun 21, 2006

  3. Lou

    Lou Guest

    Yeah,

    Going to the <http://developer.apple.com/java/> site did not help,
    becuase all I want to do is ASK this question over there for ANY
    guidance what so-ever. I even signed up for the ADC. It seems all
    Apple is interested in doing is selling me stuff and not anwering my
    question.

    Well anyway, the search continues.

    Lou, Jun 25, 2006

    If none of those cut it, try SerialPort at serialport.sourceforge.net