Tutorial on working with Excel files in Python (without COM and crossplatform!) at PyConUS 2009

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Withers, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. Hi All,

    Too many people in the Python community think the only way to work with
    Excel files in Python is using COM on Windows.

    To try and correct this, I'm giving a tutorial at this year's PyCon in
    Chicago on Wednesday, 25th March that will cover working with Excel
    files in Python using the pure-python libraries xlrd, xlwt and xlutils.

    I'll be looking to cover:

    - Reading Excel Files

    Including formatting, unicode dates and formulae.

    - Writing Excel Files

    Including formatting with easyxf and things like freeze pains, print
    areas, etc

    - Filtering Excel Files

    A run through on the structure of xlutils.filter and some examples to
    show you how it works.

    - Workshop for your problems

    I'm hoping anyone who attends will get a lot out of this! If you're
    planning on attending and have a particular problem you'd like to work
    on in this part of the tutorial, please drop me an email and I'll try
    and make sure I come prepared!

    All you need for the tutorial is a working knowledge of Excel and
    Python, with a laptop as an added benefit, and to be at PyCon this year:

    http://us.pycon.org

    I look forward to seeing you all there!

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk