Tutorial on working with Excel files in Python (without COM and crossplatform!) at EuroPython 2009

Chris Withers

Hi All,

Too many people in the Python community *still* think the only way to
work with Excel files in Python is using COM on Windows.

To try and correct this, I'm giving a tutorial at this year's EuroPython
conference in Birmingham, UK on Monday, 29th June that will cover
working with Excel files in Python using the pure-python libraries xlrd,
xlwt and xlutils.

I'll be looking to cover:

- Reading Excel Files

Including extracting all the data types, formatting and working with
large files.

- Writing Excel Files

Including formatting, many of the useful frilly extras and writing
large excel files.

- Modifying and Filtering Excel Files

A run through of taking existing Excel files and modifying them in
various ways.

- Workshop for your problems

I'm hoping anyone who attends will get a lot out of this! If you're
planning on attending and have a particular problem you'd like to work
on in this part of the tutorial, please drop me an email and I'll try
and make sure I come prepared!

All you need for the tutorial is a working knowledge of Excel and
Python, with a laptop as an added benefit, and to be at EuroPython this
year:

http://www.europython.eu/

I look forward to seeing you all there!

Chris

Mike Driscoll

[...]

As I recall, these utilities don't allow the programmer to access
Excel's formulas. Is that still an issue?

Mike

John Machin

As I recall, these utilities don't allow the programmer to access
Excel's formulas. Is that still an issue?

xlwt supports creating XLS files with a large chunk of the Excel formula
functionality. Support in xlrd for decompiling formulas exists only in a crude
form sufficient to support debugging of xlwt formula enhancements. Whether this
is an issue or not and for whom is difficult to detect -- certainly there have
been no demands for refund of purchase price :). Some recent enhancements have
been initiated as patches supplied by programmers personally. Patches
(preferably pre-discussed) are welcome, as would be any advice on how to get the
big end of town to send patent lawyers[1], gun coders and money.

[1] No kidding: http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=QMwnAAAAEBAJ

Piet van Oostrum

Chris Withers said:
CW> Piet van Oostrum said:
JM> [1] No kidding: http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=QMwnAAAAEBAJ

Apart from these patents probably being silly, why don't they just write
the code in Python? :=)
CW> Would be cool, but there are things like
CW> ...that help.

Actually, I meant writing the patent application in Python :=) instead
of this pseudo-exact legalese with goto instructions for the control
flow.