tutorial Request

Jeff Kish

Hi.

I have to come up to speed quick so I can help more intensely in a
web development effort that uses it's own frameworks.

I've installed the following on my home pc, Windows XP SP2:
- latest Tomcat
- Ant.
- Eclipse

I've found a generic tutorial that verified I have it installed, and can
compile from the command line, a class or package and then
'hit' my pc Tomcat server for a helloworld 1, 2, or 3 (the three mini
tutorials I tried).

I'd like to understand a bit more about what goes on with posts and gets,
writing servlets, and tag libraries.

And recommendations, especially downloadable tutorials, are much appreciated.

I will in the future, need to write a servlet that packs up some directories
and files and allows the user to do a save-as to their local machine.

Thanks
Jeff Kish

Mark Space

Jeff said:
Hi.

I have to come up to speed quick so I can help more intensely in a
web development effort that uses it's own frameworks.

I've installed the following on my home pc, Windows XP SP2:
- latest Tomcat
- Ant.
- Eclipse
I'd like to understand a bit more about what goes on with posts and gets,
writing servlets, and tag libraries.

I'd recommend Head First Servlets & JSP, by O'Reilly. It's a good first
tutorial, and also complete enough that you can use it as a reference
for a while after learning.

The first few chapters cover the basics of JSP, Tomcat, HTTP, and
generally explain What The Heck Is Going On Anyway.

Be aware however that JSP and friends is not a trivial subject. HFSnJ
quickly covers the serveral APIs (4 or 5 iirc) that you will need to
know, and then touches on several more that are deprecated (at least
another 3) but still in common use.

I think however that it's still a good book for someone who needs to be
productive quickly, and then needs to keep on learning.

HFSnJ is also development agnostic, ie., they don't cover any IDE at
all. I'd go with whatever IDE you have the most experience with.

Jeff Kish

I'd recommend Head First Servlets & JSP, by O'Reilly. It's a good first
tutorial, and also complete enough that you can use it as a reference
for a while after learning.

The first few chapters cover the basics of JSP, Tomcat, HTTP, and
generally explain What The Heck Is Going On Anyway.

Be aware however that JSP and friends is not a trivial subject. HFSnJ
quickly covers the serveral APIs (4 or 5 iirc) that you will need to
know, and then touches on several more that are deprecated (at least
another 3) but still in common use.

I think however that it's still a good book for someone who needs to be
productive quickly, and then needs to keep on learning.

HFSnJ is also development agnostic, ie., they don't cover any IDE at
all. I'd go with whatever IDE you have the most experience with.
thanks. I ordered it.