Typography of programs

jacob navia

Le 06/07/11 12:47, BartC a écrit :
China Blue Dolls said:
Within the environment of an IDE, or a private development setup, then
all this and more is possible.

But it doesn't need changes to the language spec as is being proposed;
the end-result of the editing (or a conversion process as you mention)
is standard C-compatible ASCII.

Yes, but special comments would need to be standardized so we could
write formulas and diagrams into commentaries without resorting
to "Ascii art" and drawings. What bothers me is that all the
technology is available but nobody uses it. For instance if
we would set
/*
*/

We could use full html editors (or XML or rtf or whatever) to include
in the programs all word processing extensions needed to add all the
necessary features into program text.

The same with the Unicode characters in programs instead of today's
digraphs.

All this proposals do not imply a change in the C la,nguage of course.
Since the diagrams and rich text wuld be enclosed in comments, it
would be transparent to the compiler. The Unicode characters would need
a small change in the compiler front end, or a preprocessor that
translates ≠ into !=

jacob

Stephen Sprunk

Le 06/07/11 05:03, Squeamizh a écrit :

But that is exactly what I am proposing.

No, you missed his point; however, the rest is worth responding to.
But if we are going to keep
those programs independent of ONE EDITOR, a standard should be set up
so that all editors know what to expect

In a first post I thought that rtf could be that standard, but it
has some drawbacks, and I think now that HTML could be a better
solution

I see no reason C source would need to be RTF or HTML, which would be a
fundamental and unnecessary change. Simple UTF-8 encoded text would
work fine, though many compilers and other tools would probably need to
be modified if they can't handle a UTF-8 encoded BOM at the beginning of
the file, which is advisable any time one doesn't stick to pure ASCII.

Ian Collins

Le 06/07/11 12:47, BartC a écrit :

[...]

A while back I experimented with writing code and documentation together
in OpenOffice, running a transform over the document XML to extract the
source code. While this worked, I soon realised why we have both code
editors and word processors. Neither does the other's job particularly
well.

Phil Carmody

Michael Press said:
Diacritical marks are for people who do not
remember how to pronounce their own language.

Not in the last 4 languages I've surrounded myself with.
Addition or removal of diacritical marks could theoretically
turn one word into a different word with an identical syntactic
role.

Phil