UL?

Chris F.A. Johnson

Hello,
I am wondering whether I should use an unordered list (UL) for the links
which are contained in the <h1></h1> on
the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

If it's a list, it belongs in a list element.

I don't think they belong inside the <h1> element, though. More
like:

<h1>Scaiecat Spa Gigi - Homepage</h1>

<ul>
<li><a href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/ee/tere-tulemast.html">Eesti keel</a>
</ul>

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, "Jonathan N. Little"
On second thought, are you making cognitive decisions in your markup or
are you just randomly mixing elements together "just to see what happens"?

*cough* Eliza! *cough*

Luigi Donatello Asero

<li><a href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.php">
Svenska said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/benvenuti.php">Italiano said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/en/welcome.php">English said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/willkommen.php">Deutsch said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/fr/bienvenue.html">Français said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/es/bienvenidos.html">Espanol said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/dk/velkommen.html">Dansk said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/ee/tere-tulemast.html">Eesti
keel said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/fi/tervetuloa.php">Suomea said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/pl/witamy-w.html">Polski said:

The validator does not display any error if I do not use a list.
Furthermore I wonder whether I could have used a list inside a heading.
If not, why.
Of course
I know that you may do what you have done.
Ps.: I am busy with Chinese, at the moment.
It is not always so easy...

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
The validator does not display any error if I do not use a list.

Why would it?
Furthermore I wonder whether I could have used a list inside a heading.

IIRC it is permitted by the DTD, but it doesn't make any sense.

Luigi Donatello Asero

keel said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/fi/tervetuloa.php">Suomea said:
href="https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/pl/witamy-w.html">Polski said:

I think that this is approximately what I had had just a few days ago....
I am looking for something new.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hello,
I am wondering whether I should use an unordered list (UL) for the links
which are contained in the <h1></h1> on
the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

You should be wondering how better to set this bit out, can't you
see that your

Scaiecat Spa Gigi - Homepage Svenska Italiano English Deutsch
Franæºis Espanol Dansk Eesti keel Suomea Polski

needs a deeper sort of ordering, the difference between good and
bad not at all contained in the difference between ul and ol?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

Why would it?

IIRC it is permitted by the DTD, but it doesn't make any sense.

Now, you may have links within <p></p> without necessarily writing a list
may you not?
So, what is the difference?

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
You should be wondering how better to set this bit out, can't you
see that your

Scaiecat Spa Gigi - Homepage Svenska Italiano English Deutsch
Franæºis Espanol Dansk Eesti keel Suomea Polski

needs a deeper sort of ordering, the difference between good and
bad not at all contained in the difference between ul and ol?

I was not talking about what to choose between ul and ol.
I doubt whether I could have used <ol> in such a case anyway.
What do you mean by a deeper sort of ordering?
Semantically, I could not use any preposition because the heading is in
different languages.

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi said:
Now, you may have links within <p></p> without necessarily writing a list
may you not?
So, what is the difference?

A list is a list and a paragraph is a paragraph, that is the difference.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Of course you can, if it makes sense to do so.

On this page of mine, look at the first paragraph.
http://countryrode.com/sales/bmwline.php

Then, look at the construction of the menu links in the source.

A list of links is .. a list. Semantically correct.

Ok.
However, the links in the menu are words or sentences which are not directly
connected with each other whereas the words
in the heading are a part of a sentence, although the latter is in different
languages.
I thought it over and I changed my mind about the use of prepositions. I can
still use them by choosing the preposition in the language it refers to.
So, writing a list of links which use words which are contained in a
heading would be quite the same as to make a list made of links containing
such as the ones below the photos,
would it not be?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Of course you can, if it makes sense to do so.

On this page of mine, look at the first paragraph.
http://countryrode.com/sales/bmwline.php

On the first paragraph, you ony have one link!
I am talking about several links within the same paragraph or the same
heading.
In the menu, on the other hand, the links do not have anchors which are
words being part of a heading.
Is that the same?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
whereas the words
in the heading are a part of a sentence, although the latter is in different
languages.

That's an awfully funny looking sentence.

The list of links does not belong in the heading. Chris gave you the
correct markup, now be a good boy and just do it.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
I think that this is approximately what I had had just a few days ago....
I am looking for something new.

Why not use floats?

Adrienne Boswell

Hello,
I am wondering whether I should use an unordered list (UL) for the
links which are contained in the <h1></h1> on
the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/index.php

I know I'm going to regret this... but here I go.

No, Luigi, you cannot put a list into a heading. It does not belong
there. Look at a table of contents. The first thing you see is the
heading, usually "Table of Contents", then you see the chapters and the
page numbers, a list. Notice that the list of pages and numbers is NOT
within the heading of Table of Contents.

Now you could have something like:
<h1>All About Toddlers</h1>
<h2>Feeding</h2>
<ul>