Unable to find dll

T McDonald

I have a question that is probably simple to answer for many of you, but just
leaves me baffled.

If I publish a ASP.NET website to my webserver in a new directory, but don't
create a virtual directory for it - I simply attempt to access it from the
default web direcotry say www.myweb.net/myapp/Default.aspx I always get an
error indicating that I need to complie: "Could not load the assembly
'App_Web_3um03wt4'. Make sure that it is compiled before accessing the page."

If I create a virtual directory OR drop the contents of the application to
my default www driectory, everything works as per expected.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you.

Rick Strahl

ASP.NET dynamically compiles Web sites, so any source files in virtual
folder are automatically compiled and stored in a temp path.

The most important thing to realize is that ASP.NET is scoped to a virtual
directory (or root directory) and you have to ensure that somewhere along
the way up to the root there's a virtual directory configured in IIS. That
virtual - and its Bin directory and web.config - determine where and how
files are stored.

More importantly any code in your APP_CODE folder needs to reside below the
virtual directory. So if you just copied your files without creating a
virtual directory for the files your APP_CODE folder is not found - hence
the error you're seeing. You'll either need to make your directory a virtual
or move any code you have in APP_CODE (and any other of hte special folders
like APP_THEMES/APP_DATA) up to the virtual directory so the files can be
found.

Hope this helps,

+++ Rick ---

T McDonald

Thank you. It doesn't entirely make sense to me, but it certainly explains
it. Once I moved the bin directory from the directory below the virtual, back
up to the virtual it indeed worked as you suggested.

So given that, if I have multiple "utilities" on one server, I can't merely
drop them into folders below the defaul virtual directory and have them use
each of their own web.configs? I would need to create virtual directory for
each distinct web.confg?

Thanks for the info.