Unicode + SVG problem

Klaubator

Hi,

A simple task is driving me crazy, just can figure out how to
programatically write unicode characters to a SVG (XML) document.

With an editor it is easy to write Unicode characters like &#x431
(Cyrillic) to an SVG text element.

Trying to do the same with code is a pain but there must be some
solution.

I've tried to do it with vb.net using both InnerHtml, InnerText and
CDATA but the ampersand is always encoded as & just can figure out
how to add an unencoded ampersand. Tried to do the same through the
Adobe SVG plugins Javascript method setData() but the result was the
same. The only solution I've come up with is using XSLT
transformations or simply postprocess the XML/SVG contents as plain
text but this is definitely not something I would want to do.

There must be a solution to this simple task ?!

Regards
KL

Martin Honnen

Klaubator wrote:

A simple task is driving me crazy, just can figure out how to
programatically write unicode characters to a SVG (XML) document.

With an editor it is easy to write Unicode characters like &#x431
(Cyrillic) to an SVG text element.

Trying to do the same with code is a pain but there must be some
solution.

I've tried to do it with vb.net using both InnerHtml, InnerText and
CDATA but the ampersand is always encoded as & just can figure out
how to add an unencoded ampersand. Tried to do the same through the
Adobe SVG plugins Javascript method setData() but the result was the
same. The only solution I've come up with is using XSLT
transformations or simply postprocess the XML/SVG contents as plain
text but this is definitely not something I would want to do.

There must be a solution to this simple task ?!

If you do DOM programming of XML documents then usually you don't need
to escape Unicode characters as the DOM operates directly on the Unicode
text data so you can simply use a string with the characters you want
and insert them into a text node with DOM methods. The only problem are
programming languages where strings are not Unicode encoded but VB.NET
or JavaScript shouldn't be a problem. For instance with JavaScript
textNode.setData(String.fromCharCode(0x431))
or directly
textNode.setData('б')
should do