Unload a dll called via assembly

Andy

Hi everybody,

i´m working on an application that loads different modules (dll files)
via an assembly.
I check the build version in that dll file and if a newer version
exists, i want to update the file. There´s only one problem: once loaded
the library, i´m not able to delete it while the application is running.

Current function:

Dim AssemblyToLoad As [Assembly]
Dim ClassLibraryModule As [Module]
Dim FormType As Type
Dim AssemblyForm As Form
Dim PublicField As FieldInfo

AssemblyToLoad = [Assembly].LoadFrom(ModuleName)
ClassLibraryModule = AssemblyToLoad.GetModule(ModuleName)

FormType = ClassLibraryModule.GetType(ModuleName & ".ClassMain")

PublicField = FormType.GetField("VersionBuild")

return PublicField.GetValue(PublicField))

Application.DoEvents()

If the return value of the function is smaller as the VersionBuild of
the server dll, the dll file should be updated. But as long as the
program is running, the dll file is write protected.

How can i unload the assembly so the dll file isnt write protected anymore?

Please help!
Thanks, Andy

Chris Taylor

Hi Andy,

As you have discovered, you can not unload assemblies. What you can unload
however is an AppDomain,
so what you should do is create a new AppDomain and load the assembly into
the secondary AppDomain.

See: AppDomain.CreateDomain

Hope this helps