update all python packages on Debian/Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jabba Laci, Sep 13, 2011.

  1. Jabba Laci

    Jabba Laci Guest

    Hi,

    I use Ubuntu and the Python packages on my system were either
    installed with (1) apt-get, or with (2) pip. Since the number of
    python packages in the Ubuntu repositories is limited, I had to
    install several packages with pip.

    Now I want to upgrade the packages that were installed with pip (and
    only those packages).

    I can collect the list of python packages:
    (pip freeze | cut -d = -f 1 | grep -v FIXME | xargs echo | tr ' ' '\n'
    >list.txt) 2>/dev/null

    However, if I update every package in list.txt with "pip install -U",
    it will also update the ones that were installed with apt-get. Since
    apt-get builds a database with the installed files, I'm sure it won't
    like that pip replaces those files. I didn't try it yet but I'm afraid
    it would mess up the system.

    So, how to upgrade the python packages correctly?

    Thanks,

    Laszlo
    Jabba Laci, Sep 13, 2011