UpdatePanel, LinkButtons and RegisterAsyncPostBackControl

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jack, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. jack

    jack Guest

    Hi folks,
    I got a custom control, in which it's placed inside the UpdatePanel.
    The control contains some LinkButtons which post back to the same
    page. Actually, when these LinkButtons are clicked, the entire page is
    refreshed which is not the desired effect. I only need the UpdatePanel
    to be refreshed.

    So, I decided to search the net to solve the issue. I just found that
    when the LinkButtons are registered for the PostBacks, the UpdatePanel
    is just refreshed, not the entire page. i.e., if I call the following
    line of code for each LinkButton, the UpdatePanel will be refreshed
    only.

    this.ScriptManager1.RegisterAsyncPostBackControl(linkButton);

    However, I would like to know

    1. Is this actually the way to go?
    2. Would you please let me know what the above function really does?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jack

    jack, Jun 14, 2008

  2. jack