Upgrade to .Net 1.1?

Lew

I have VS.Net 2002 Enterprise Edition and .Net 1.0 installed.

Am wondering if I can upgrade to .Net 1.1 without causing compatability
problems with VS.Net 2002? Can't affort the upgrade to VS.Net 2003
Enterprise Edition yet...

Craig Deelsnyder

Lew said:
I have VS.Net 2002 Enterprise Edition and .Net 1.0 installed.

Am wondering if I can upgrade to .Net 1.1 without causing compatability
problems with VS.Net 2002? Can't affort the upgrade to VS.Net 2003
Enterprise Edition yet...

VS.NET 2002 can only code for 1.0, not 1.1. You can install 1.1 on your
machine separately, no problem. But VS.NET won't be able to code for it.

Note if you do install 1.1 separately, you need to make sure you map
your web apps to the appropriate versions, as installing 1.1 will by
default change all apps on the webserver to use 1.1

Richard K Bethell

Craig Deelsnyder said:
VS.NET 2002 can only code for 1.0, not 1.1. You can install 1.1 on your
machine separately, no problem. But VS.NET won't be able to code for it.

Note if you do install 1.1 separately, you need to make sure you map
your web apps to the appropriate versions, as installing 1.1 will by
default change all apps on the webserver to use 1.1

It is worth noting however, that most 1.0 compiled apps will work just fine
on a machine that only has the 1.1 FrameWork. There are only a small handful
of incompatibilities. I upgraded a staging environment that had only 1.0 web
apps to the 1.1 FrameWork, and it was completely seamless.

R.

Mark Heimonen

I had a similar experience. The only problem we ran into was that some of
our clientside javascript broke because the auto-generated javascript
created by the new framework didn't insert spaces in the same places. I
think we had problems were we used code like this:

objButton.attributes.add("onclick","alert('hi');")

on a button that had a server-side onclick event handler.

Lew

Thanks, Craig and Richard for your inputs. So I will be staying with 1.0
until I can spring for the upgrade.