Upgrading perl - delimas, predicaments, and sheer noobiness

v0idnull

Ok, so:

I have a neat little freebsd server up and running with a total of 4gb
of space. What I want to do is upgrade perl from 5.0003 to 5.8.6.

5.8.6 isn't in the ports tree, and when I try to get 5.8.2 from the
ports tree installed, I keep getting told I have no more hard drive
space. My question is, how feasible would be to completely remove perl
from the system and install it again with a fresh clean install of the
newest version.

Thanks

Jim Gibson

v0idnull said:
Ok, so:

I have a neat little freebsd server up and running with a total of 4gb
of space. What I want to do is upgrade perl from 5.0003 to 5.8.6.

5.8.6 isn't in the ports tree, and when I try to get 5.8.2 from the
ports tree installed, I keep getting told I have no more hard drive
space. My question is, how feasible would be to completely remove perl
from the system and install it again with a fresh clean install of the
newest version.

Can you install from source? You can get 5.8.6 source from
<http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct; try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future.