upload file component

Utada P.W. SIU

Hi All,

Do you know where have free/buy a upload file component?

I need allow user to select the folder instead of select file one by one

thanks~~

Carol

A whole folder???

Rob Collyer said:
(e-mail address removed) (Jeff Cochran) wrote in @msnews.microsoft.com:

Why use a component?

You can do this in pure asp script.

Search google for 'pure asp upload'

--
Robert Collyer
www.webforumz.com

Rob Collyer

sure.... if you really want to.

but as with ANY upload solution that does not rely on client side plug-ins,
you'll still need to select each file one by one.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Maybe ASPUpload will do this, or XUpload
(http://www.aspupload.com/xupload.html) -- IE only.

However, ASPUpload is not free (see if your server already supports it).

I'm not sure I understand this constant motivation to only use free
components. If it takes you even an hour to code up a solution yourself, is
your time not worth using elsewhere and just spend the $100?

Again, you will have to search around for components that will do this.

Or, ask your clients to not be so lazy and actually put the files in a zip
folder. There are free / cheap ZIP components that will allow you to
extract the contents of an archive once it is uploaded. You can also
schedule something within the OS to run in the background and extract any
new ZIP archives it finds in the upload folder.

Rob Collyer

Maybe ASPUpload will do this, or XUpload
(http://www.aspupload.com/xupload.html) -- IE only.

However, ASPUpload is not free (see if your server already supports
it).

I'm not sure I understand this constant motivation to only use free
components. If it takes you even an hour to code up a solution
yourself, is your time not worth using elsewhere and just spend the
$100?

Again, you will have to search around for components that will do
this.

Or, ask your clients to not be so lazy and actually put the files in a
zip folder. There are free / cheap ZIP components that will allow you
to extract the contents of an archive once it is uploaded. You can
also schedule something within the OS to run in the background and
extract any new ZIP archives it finds in the upload folder.

I say again.... who needs an upload component when you can do this in
PURE ASP?

Just use script instead of components (and extra server overhead)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Rob said:
I say again.... who needs an upload component when you can do this in
PURE ASP?

Just use script instead of components (and extra server overhead)

It's been well-established (just Google this newsgroup) that a non-component
(pure asp) upload is slow. If you're dealing with large uploads, it is best
to use a component.

Bob Barrows

Rob Collyer

It's been well-established (just Google this newsgroup) that a
non-component (pure asp) upload is slow. If you're dealing with large
uploads, it is best to use a component.

Bob Barrows

Whilst I do agree bob, I imagine for the situation intended, a script
based solution will be more than adequate.

I envisage a site with hundreds of users all performing uploads
is not what is in discussion here.

Anyway, there is a very fast script based one out there that side-steps
the usual string-concat downfall of ASP.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Whilst I do agree bob, I imagine for the situation intended, a script
based solution will be more than adequate.

"More than adequate" does not mean optimal.

In any case, you're still not solving the problem. How does using pure ASP,
as you keep pushing, help the OP upload an entire folder?

Larry Bud

Aaron said:
Maybe ASPUpload will do this, or XUpload
(http://www.aspupload.com/xupload.html) -- IE only.

However, ASPUpload is not free (see if your server already supports it).

I'm not sure I understand this constant motivation to only use free
components. If it takes you even an hour to code up a solution yourself, is
your time not worth using elsewhere and just spend the $100?

Haven't you ever worked for a company that doesn't allow you to spend
any money? Whether or not it's cost effective is another argument,
but sometimes you're just not allowed to spend a dime.

Or, ask your clients to not be so lazy and actually put the files in a zip
folder. There are free / cheap ZIP components that will allow you to
extract the contents of an archive once it is uploaded.

Are you kidding? Computer illiterate people don't know how to
zip/unzip anything.

Rob Collyer

"More than adequate" does not mean optimal.

In any case, you're still not solving the problem. How does using
pure ASP, as you keep pushing, help the OP upload an entire folder?

How does ANY component solve that?
At the end of the day, a browser limits the input of type 'file' to a
single file.... there is no server side component that will deal with
this issue.

You will have to go for some browser based plug-in, or client side EXE to
get round this if you just want a single click on folder and away it
goes.

Rob Collyer

Exactly... that's why the OP asked for a component.

I presumed he was meaning a server side component.... after all, this is
an ASP newsgroup, and not a client side focused group!!

So mr Curt.... dont think my comments were stupid, when in fact they were
spot on.

Rob Collyer

1) I never said they were "stupid", dont be so deffensive, geesh.
2) Just because it's posted in an ASP group doesn't guarantee the
poster realizes when something is server side vs client side, often
they are simply not certain.
3) actually file uploading, even with a component, involves BOTH the
client and the server, so in this case it very well could be ASP
related. 4) Hey, I'm with you in preferring a pure asp upload, when it
fits the needs, and in fact have a nice one on my site. Just that in
this case, or any where you need to do multiple files, it's component
time.

agreed....

I think entire folder uploads would be a good feature to build into
browsers.... i guess this will need to meet standards approval (thats if
said standard bodies are considering this)

It is I guess a flaw that has not yet been addressed, although one could
argue thats why FTP exists.

Carol

Hi.
How can you guys complete a project?
Then answer the question without a lot of detours, or other solutions.

The requirements are very plain and simple. The guy is not asking about
anything but what he said.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

The requirements are very plain and simple. The guy is not asking about
anything but what he said.

I beg to differ.

On the other hand, what have *you* contributed to this thread?

Carol

How did I contribute?
I posted reply #3.
I noticed that the first two replies did not satisfy the requirements of the
original post, and I gently pointed that out.

Since then we've had more irrellevant, off the mark, out of bounds idea that
did NOT meet the requirements, and again I have pointed that out.

Perhaps the notion that sticking to the requirements is a requirement will
last longer in the minds of these participants than any misguided,
wrong-headed asp upload ideas will.
Longer even, then the flames I will endure for being so helpful.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I noticed that the first two replies did not satisfy the requirements of
the
original post, and I gently pointed that out.

Gently, with THREE question marks???
Since then we've had more irrellevant, off the mark, out of bounds idea that
did NOT meet the requirements, and again I have pointed that out.

I pointed out XUpload twice, which DOES meet the requirements. You and Rob
both seemed to miss that, and I have now taken abuse from both of you for
your own inability to follow up.

And if you don't think discussions around the merits of component-based vs
component-less upload are valid, why don't you let the original poster
determine whether the dialog is helpful or not?
Longer even, then the flames I will endure for being so helpful.

Indeed. I'm sure the original poster has already tested out all of your
helpful suggestions and implemented the best one.