Use a DAL ?

Larry R

Ok, I *should* know the answer to this but...
I am working on a fairly simple intranet Asp.Net 2/SQL2000 project. On
90% of the functions, the data is basically one-to-one table updates
handled by a gridview.

I was planning on creating a DAL and accessing it via ObjectDataSource
controls, but in review, I couldn't provide a good reason not to just
use the SQLDataSource Control.

Can anyone provide some good insight/links on the WHY of this decision?

The datasource will always be SQL server.

Thanks 1

Amiran Chyb

one possible reason:

because using Table Adapter Wizard with Object Data Source, you can
have the best of both worlds:
- code separation (if your db structure changes updates will be easier)
- simplicity - using TAW (and query builder) you don't even have to
write SQL statements

and result will be scalable, of course.

Guest

Even if the data source will not change completely, even minor changes might
be made less painful by layering. Even if you keep to SQL Server, you might
want to upgrade to 2005. You might want to integrate the system with other
systems, which can cause changes in the database structure.

On the other hand, simple is always simpler. If you feel that the project
simply is too small to bother about it, you can keep it simple, and change
the structure later if needed. On the thhird (?) hand, those "later" tend to
never happen...

All in all, consider how long the system is expected to live, and how much
it is possible that it might grow.

/Guffa