use serialver to detect serialization problems between java 1.5 and earlier versions?

robert_dodier

Hello all,

As I understand it, there may be problems in serializing an
object from a program running in a java 1.5 jvm and unserializing
it in a program running on an earlier jvm. Feel free to correct
this statement as needed.

I wonder if it's feasible to detect serialization problems
using serialver. Here's my idea which may or may not work:
run /.../jdk1.5/.../serialver on MyClass; run /.../jdk1.4/.../serialver
on MyClass; there's no problem if and only if the two
serialVersionUID's are the same. Is that right?

I'm just trying to avoid unpleasant surprises at run-time.
If there is a better way to do that, I am all ears.
Regards,
Robert Dodier