    p.s.-I'm using ASP (not ASP.NET) with VBScript (I hate VB syntax but
    that is what everyone seems to use).

    , Jul 6, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'm new to ASP. If I store information in these handy "session
    > variables" am I going to run into many limitations that I wouldn't
    > have it I added a database record for each session instead? For
    > example, if I use session variables, can I have an admin utility that
    > lets me see a list and/or count of all open sessions?

    No

    > Or would I be
    > able to keep the same user from starting multiple sessions if I
    > wanted (by comparing the log-in name which my web-site requires)?

    No

    > know if I create a record for each open session that I can do all
    > kinds of fun stuff like reports and queries, but not sure if I'll
    > have all of those options with these built in ASP session variables
    > (which I imagine ASP stores in memory or some non-standard format).

    You need a database. Look at:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2078

    > p.s.-I'm using ASP (not ASP.NET) with VBScript (I hate VB syntax but
    > that is what everyone seems to use).

    Not everyone. A few people on this list use jscript exclusively. Nothing
    says you have to use vbscript.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 6, 2005

    Wow, thanks for the super fast reply! I'll check out those links, and
    also look over the rest of the FAQ.

    , Jul 7, 2005