USER FRIENDLY NAVIGATION BUTTON BAR

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jose Cuthberto, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. > > > > USER FRIENDLY NAVIGATION BUTTON BAR < < < <

    WRAPPER CODE FOR A SET OF HTML FILES, AND BUTTON BAR LOOKS LIKE BELOW:

    |< < [1 of 7] <> > >| => <= O' (magnifying glass for small gif text)

    I have a number of isolated html files for a 1000 page html document.
    The .htm files have associated gifs, anchors, using NAME and HREF attributes.
    The htmls are all flat, ie in the same directory but they are named
    like chapsec_subsec_page.htm, specifically, a1_1_page_20.htm.
    The gifs are in a separate directory, and addressed relatively.

    The htmls have internal cross references using anchors mentioned above.

    But there are no links or buttons to move from page to page,
    to the end of section, forward or backward, etc.

    |< < [1 of 7] <> > >| => <= O' (magnifying glass for small gif text)

    something like the above, or as many features. These features i have
    seen in some other html sites.

    I would like to write some kind of wrapper javascript to enable this
    functionality, if possible, so that i have to do minimal changes to
    the actual htmls.

    Secondly, can someone give me precise meanings of the buttons and the
    bars in the button bars above? One would also want such a button
    bar at the bottom of the page.

    I would also want to find out how to convert this multi page html
    directory which is essentially flat, into a single file. The copying
    takes a lot of time due to bits.

    Can the htmls also be turned into a single chm type file that has all
    the gifs included? and can this be returned back? if it cannot be
    returned back, is there a simple script that can convert htmls into
    chm with a single click so that it can be distributed in this form
    for covenience of users to convert if they want?

    I know these are many questions. I hope several people can attack
    various aspects of it that they are most familiar with. The questions
    are really in the order of most important being first.

    ---
    What help do i need?
    I suppose one can write a html list and sublist with anchors
    in them. but that is not professional, and is only the first
    page.

    I know C. I used to know java and C++. totally forgotten.
    but i remember the overloaded + used to write string concatenation.
    I know the loops are similar. If someone gives me a skeleton
    in javascript, i can sure customize it.

    Thats what I would probably need.

    jose

    Jose Cuthberto, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Jose Cuthberto

    John Bokma Guest

    (Jose Cuthberto) wrote in

    > What help do i need?
    > I suppose one can write a html list and sublist with anchors
    > in them. but that is not professional, and is only the first
    > page.

    Professional often costs money.

    > I know C. I used to know java and C++. totally forgotten.

    Amazing. That is like saying I forgot how to walk, talk, and swim.

    > but i remember the overloaded + used to write string concatenation.
    > I know the loops are similar. If someone gives me a skeleton
    > in javascript, i can sure customize it.
    >
    > Thats what I would probably need.

    Got Paypal too? :-D. I can do what you want, and fast. (Though not in
    JavaScript). mail at johnbokma dot com.

    --
    John MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
    personal page: http://johnbokma.com/

    John Bokma, Sep 24, 2004

  3. John Bokma <> wrote in message

    > Professional often costs money.
    >
    > Got Paypal too? :-D. I can do what you want, and fast. (Though not in
    > JavaScript). mail at johnbokma dot com.

    Hate to prick your bubble:

    I am reading a javascript book.
    I can also surf web sites with javascript based button solutions and
    try to read the code myself. Then rewrite it according to my preferences.

    However, in this endeavor, if there are any kind souls willing to help
    do not hesitate. We are into sharing knowledge and information.

    javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
    F<->C page, with hidden variables. functions, window.open,
    window.close, document.open, document.write, document.close etc.

    I can pick it pretty fast. Javascript reads almost like english, if
    you know C and html. and know sth about objects, methods, even handlers etc.

    The old used book cost me $10 only and bought 4y ago. it has all the
    basics, html, java, javascript, perl, vbasic, activeX etc.
    both intro examples, getting started and reference sections.

    so any kind soul willing to share info is welcome

    jose

    Jose Cuthberto, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Jose Cuthberto

    John Bokma Guest

    (Jose Cuthberto) wrote in

    > John Bokma <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Professional often costs money.
    >>
    >> Got Paypal too? :-D. I can do what you want, and fast. (Though not in
    >> JavaScript). mail at johnbokma dot com.

    > Hate to prick your bubble:
    >
    > I am reading a javascript book.

    You will not find what you want there, I guess / am afraid.

    > I can also surf web sites with javascript based button solutions and
    > try to read the code myself. Then rewrite it according to my
    > preferences.

    Which will take you a big deal of time, and frustration. You will
    discover that it's not going to work, or not as easy.

    > However, in this endeavor, if there are any kind souls willing to help
    > do not hesitate. We are into sharing knowledge and information.

    Sure, that's what I always say when I shop :-D.

    > javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
    > F<->C page,

    Amazing :-D.

    > with hidden variables. functions, window.open,
    > window.close, document.open, document.write, document.close etc.
    >
    > I can pick it pretty fast. Javascript reads almost like english, if
    > you know C and html. and know sth about objects, methods, even
    > handlers etc.
    >
    > The old used book cost me $10 only and bought 4y ago.

    Then it's severly out dated :-D.

    > it has all the
    > basics, html, java, javascript, perl, vbasic, activeX etc.
    > both intro examples, getting started and reference sections.

    Ah, an Unleashed book, or some equally crappy book? Good luck then.

    > so any kind soul willing to share info is welcome

    I, if you share some info using PayPal ;-)

    You either do it yourself or pay for it. That's how it works. Usenet is
    not a free help desk.

    John Bokma, Sep 27, 2004
  5. Jose Cuthberto

    John Bokma Guest

    John Bokma, Sep 27, 2004
  6. John Bokma wrote:
    >>I am reading a javascript book.

    > You will not find what you want there, I guess / am afraid.

    .... / hope?

    >>javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
    >>F<->C page,

    > Amazing :-D.

    Do you really believe anyone in a sane mind would want a business
    relationship with a partner of your attitude?

    >>so any kind soul willing to share info is welcome

    > I, if you share some info using PayPal ;-)
    >
    > You either do it yourself or pay for it. That's how it works. Usenet is
    > not a free help desk.

    Usenet is not an advertising arena for your own commercial services
    either. It's a place where you can share information for free,
    according to certain community rules. As such, it's more of a help desk.

    If you know the solution to a poster's problem, you can either help him
    out or keep silent. This "I have a solution for you, but it'll cost you
    a few bucks, otherwise I'm not telling" attitude of yours is definitely
    not what Usenet is about.

    Philipp
    (f'up2 comp.lang.javascript)

    Philipp Reichmuth, Sep 28, 2004
  7. Jose Cuthberto

    John Bokma Guest

    Philipp Reichmuth <> wrote in news:2rsoiaF1d8s42U1
    @uni-berlin.de:

    > John Bokma wrote:
    >>>I am reading a javascript book.

    >> You will not find what you want there, I guess / am afraid.

    > ... / hope?

    Sure.

    >>>javascript is an object based language. I already finished writing a
    >>>F<->C page,

    >> Amazing :-D.

    > Do you really believe anyone in a sane mind would want a business
    > relationship with a partner of your attitude?

    Do you really think I want a customer like that ;-)

    >>>so any kind soul willing to share info is welcome

    >> I, if you share some info using PayPal ;-)
    >>
    >> You either do it yourself or pay for it. That's how it works. Usenet

    is
    >> not a free help desk.

    > Usenet is not an advertising arena for your own commercial services
    > either. It's a place where you can share information for free,

    Yup, *share*, not demand free rides.

    > according to certain community rules. As such, it's more of a help

    desk.

    It isn't. A help desk is not sharing information for free.

    > If you know the solution to a poster's problem, you can either help

    him
    > out or keep silent.

    That's not up to you to decide, and if you have been on Usenet for some
    time you know that this is rarely how it goes.

    > This "I have a solution for you, but it'll cost you
    > a few bucks, otherwise I'm not telling" attitude of yours is

    definitely
    > not what Usenet is about.

    He asked for a professional solution. And those cost money by at least
    one defintion of profession.

    Also in <Xns95718EA1AA6EEcastleamber@130.133.1.4> I hinted at using Perl
    to do the transformation.

    There is plenty of free documentation available on Perl. But beware, if
    the OP comes to the "Perl groups" asking for a free professional
    solution, and quick, he will be greeted with way less friendly replies
    than mine.

    The OP was not "sharing information", he was IMNSHO demanding a
    solution. He even gives guidelines of how we can tackle his problems.

    John Bokma, Sep 28, 2004