User Management and Authentication with Perl

Ilias Lazaridis

Is there any user-management/authentication solution which could be
seen as the standard within the perl domain?

Is there any solution available which makes a general interface
available and allows "authenticators" to be plugged-in (e.g. an
"Standard Unix", an "Open Id" plugin)?

Are those solutions scalable (e.g. runs first on one machine, then can
be moved to a dedicated authentication machine)?

Is there any worked-out overview available?

..

Tim Southerwood

Ilias said:
Is there any user-management/authentication solution which could be
seen as the standard within the perl domain?

Hi

For authorisation/authentication, PAM is pretty much the defacto standard on
linux at least.

See here for a list of perl modules:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=pam&mode=all

PAM is a standard client API to a variety of account and authentication
mechanisms, including, but not limited to:

local files (passwd/group/shadow)
NIS/NIS+
LDAP
Kerberos
Is there any solution available which makes a general interface
available and allows "authenticators" to be plugged-in (e.g. an
"Standard Unix", an "Open Id" plugin)?

Are those solutions scalable (e.g. runs first on one machine, then can
be moved to a dedicated authentication machine)?

PAM is a client side solution. Are you asking if there is an auth/account
server framework for perl? I don't think so - and I think you are better
off using perl to manage in an automated way (if required) something
existing that's proven good like kerberos plus LDAP/NIS/local-files.

HTH
Tim

Ilias Lazaridis

Hi

For authorisation/authentication, PAM is pretty much the defacto standard on
linux at least.

See here for a list of perl modules:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=pam&mode=all

PAM is a standard client API to a variety of account and authentication
mechanisms, including, but not limited to:

local files (passwd/group/shadow)
NIS/NIS+
LDAP
Kerberos

ok, sounds good.
PAM is a client side solution. Are you asking if there is an auth/account
server framework for perl? I don't think so - and I think you are better
off using perl to manage in an automated way (if required) something
existing that's proven good like kerberos plus LDAP/NIS/local-files.

I am looking for something which would give me the flexibility to:

* reuse the existent apache httppw files
* move over to the linux user management
* move over to an LDAP system
* move over to a decentral system (e.g. openID)

..

Tim Southerwood

Ilias Lazaridis coughed up some electrons that declared:
* reuse the existent apache httppw files
* move over to the linux user management
* move over to an LDAP system
* move over to a decentral system (e.g. openID)

OK - I think PAM is what you want at the client end as you can reconfigure
the client PAM config at each stage to use different auth/account services.

I guess that for each stage, you'll need to write your own perl to manage
the backend.

I would consider getting the core data into a database of some sort
(Postgresql works well for this IME) and drive that data into the backend
via perl.

Cheers

Tim

Ilias Lazaridis

Ilias Lazaridis coughed up some electrons that declared:

OK - I think PAM is what you want at the client end as you can reconfigure
the client PAM config at each stage to use different auth/account services.

I guess that for each stage, you'll need to write your own perl to manage
the backend.

ok, you mean those which are not available yet.
I would consider getting the core data into a database of some sort
(Postgresql works well for this IME) and drive that data into the backend
via perl.

I forgot to mention, that this should work fine with

* Standard RMI (Remote Method Invocation) of perl

..