User Passwords In a Hosted Environment

Jordan

I'm implementing ASP.NET Forms authentication, and storing passwords in a
SQL Server database.

Just wondering what some of you who have implemented this scenario in a
hosted environment do to keep the passwords in the database "safe". Do you
store them as plain text, do you base(64) encode them? do you encrypt them?

What would you recommend for keeping user's passwords safe in a hosted
environment?

Thanks.

Jordan

Thank You Steve and Eric. You provided exactly the type of information I was
seeking.

Steve: FWIW: the fawcett.com link you provided is dead.