using 2 different copies of same version of python side-by-side

Fahd Khan

Hi everyone, I maintain a python utility packaged using py2exe on
Windows and I've found that I'm unable to test it on a machine that
has python installed. For months I've used coworker's machines to test
for missing-module bugs but that really slows down development.

Basically it's because there are 2 copies of the same version of
python running side-by-side: the installed release and one embedded
into the py2exe generated file. When the py2exe'd app imports modules
missing from the py2exe'd package, it grabs them from the system's
python lib folder. I have no idea how python even knows where the
system's lib folder is, I can't find it in the source.

Any advice for how to test a py2exe'd app? Or how to deal with the
same problem if I'm making a mini-python distribution (effbot news
reader style)? I'd like to switch to that so I can have a group of
installed utilities sharing the same modules.

~Fahd