using 2 different copies of same version of python side-by-side

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fahd Khan, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Fahd Khan

    Fahd Khan Guest

    Hi everyone, I maintain a python utility packaged using py2exe on
    Windows and I've found that I'm unable to test it on a machine that
    has python installed. For months I've used coworker's machines to test
    for missing-module bugs but that really slows down development.

    Basically it's because there are 2 copies of the same version of
    python running side-by-side: the installed release and one embedded
    into the py2exe generated file. When the py2exe'd app imports modules
    missing from the py2exe'd package, it grabs them from the system's
    python lib folder. I have no idea how python even knows where the
    system's lib folder is, I can't find it in the source.

    Any advice for how to test a py2exe'd app? Or how to deal with the
    same problem if I'm making a mini-python distribution (effbot news
    reader style)? I'd like to switch to that so I can have a group of
    installed utilities sharing the same modules.

    ~Fahd
    Fahd Khan, Jan 8, 2004