Using an applet

Marc

I am investigation how I should let an IntraNet application talk to a
scanner on the client site. One possibility is using an active x component
and IE and a library called twain. But I think I could also use a java
version of that twain lib, and an applet. I cannot find much information
about this, I am wondering if anyone in this group ever tried it. How should
I go about. One problem on the intranet is that the users are also using
firefox as browser, if I could use the applet, I probably could use firefox
too, is that right?

John Bokma

Marc said:
I am investigation how I should let an IntraNet application talk to a
scanner on the client site. One possibility is using an active x
component and IE and a library called twain. But I think I could also
use a java version of that twain lib, and an applet. I cannot find
much information about this, I am wondering if anyone in this group
ever tried it. How should I go about. One problem on the intranet is
that the users are also using firefox as browser, if I could use the
applet, I probably could use firefox too, is that right?

If you install Java, yes.

cwdjrxyz

John said:
If you install Java, yes.

Even if Java is installed on your computer, make sure it is turned on
in the Firefox settings. I have been using Java for several browsers,
including Firefox. When I recently upgraded to Firefox 1.5, Java did
not work on Firefox, but it still worked on my other browsers. The
problem was that Java was turned off in the Firefox settings after the
1.5 upgrade. I have taken earlier Firefox upgrades without having to
turn Java back on. Firefox seems to handle Java fine. I must have Java
to use a servlet at the control panel of my domain.

John Bokma

Even if Java is installed on your computer, make sure it is turned on
in the Firefox settings. I have been using Java for several browsers,
including Firefox. When I recently upgraded to Firefox 1.5, Java did
not work on Firefox, but it still worked on my other browsers. The
problem was that Java was turned off in the Firefox settings after the
1.5 upgrade. I have taken earlier Firefox upgrades without having to
turn Java back on. Firefox seems to handle Java fine. I must have Java
to use a servlet at the control panel of my domain.

Odd, I installed recently (Java 1.5 update 5 IIRC), and more recently
Firefox 1.5, and it just works :-D.

Stewart Gordon

Marc said:
I am investigation how I should let an IntraNet application talk to a
scanner on the client site. One possibility is using an active x component
and IE and a library called twain. But I think I could also use a java
version of that twain lib, and an applet. I cannot find much information
about this, I am wondering if anyone in this group ever tried it. How should
I go about. One problem on the intranet is that the users are also using
firefox as browser, if I could use the applet, I probably could use firefox
too, is that right?

All three of you are in the wrong 'group.

http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/web/js/javaisnotjs.html

Stewart.

--

the 'group where everyone may benefit.