Using Atlas on existing application

Robert Scheer

Hi.

I think I have some conceptual questions here. I have an asp.net web
application up and running and now I intend to use Atlas on some of my
pages. I have read that after installing Atlas, I need to create a
specific Atlas project. But what I need is to just adapt Atlas on
existing pages, so my questions are: Can I simply add Atlas controls
like UpdatePanel on an existing web application page? If so, do I need
to adjust some kind of configuration in order for this to work?

Thanks,
Robert Scheer

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Robert,

Yes, you can certainly add Atlas to your existing application. The Atlas
project just automates some of this for you.

You'll need to add the Atlas DLLs to your bin directory and add them as
references in your project.

Next, put in the ScriptManager first in the form section, making sure to set
EnablePartialRendering to true :

<atlas:ScriptManager id="scmgr1" runat="server"
EnablePartialRendering="true"></atlas:ScriptManager>

Then, wrap the UpdatePanel markup around your control:

<atlas:UpdatePanel ID="pn1" runat="server" >
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True"
AllowSorting="True"
AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="TaskID"
DataSourceID="ObjectDataSource1">
<Columns>
<asp:CommandField ShowDeleteButton="True" ShowEditButton="True"
/>
<asp:BoundField DataField="TaskID" HeaderText="TaskID"
InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True"
SortExpression="TaskID" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="Name" HeaderText="Name"
SortExpression="Name" />
<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="Complete" HeaderText="Complete"
SortExpression="Complete" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

</ContentTemplate>
<Triggers>
<atlas:ControlValueTrigger ControlID="Dropdownlist1" />
</Triggers>
</atlas:UpdatePanel>

As you suspect, the messy part is getting all the Atlas stuff into your
web.config. My advice is to take one of the samples from the Atlas control
toolkit and work from there.

Let us know how you make out?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Robert Scheer

Hi Ken,

Just one more question... I will install the Atlas July CTP. Will I
need to replace this CTP for the next to come?

Thanks for your help and sure I will tell the group about my
experiences :)

Robert

Robert Scheer said:
Hi.

I think I have some conceptual questions here. I have an asp.net web
application up and running and now I intend to use Atlas on some of my
pages. I have read that after installing Atlas, I need to create a
specific Atlas project. But what I need is to just adapt Atlas on
existing pages, so my questions are: Can I simply add Atlas controls
like UpdatePanel on an existing web application page? If so, do I need
to adjust some kind of configuration in order for this to work?

Thanks,
Robert Scheer

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Robert,

You'll want to update to the next CTP for the fixes. Keep in mind that the
prefixes will change from <atlas:> to <asp:> as it moves closer to release.

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]