using client application services with windows authentication - wh

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Martin11111, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. Martin11111

    Martin11111 Guest

    using client application services with windows authentication - where are my
    roles?

    Hi,

    I am trying to use client application services. This is a new feature of
    ..NET3.5 to leverage the ASP.NET provider model to winforms. I am using the
    sample application that can be found on
    http://aspalliance.com/1596_Client_Application_Services__Part_2.all. All the
    examples that I can find use the membership provider and the role provider
    together. However in my situation I have to use windows authentication
    instead of the membership provider and I want to combine that with a custom
    sql role provider and profile provider.

    I added a user to the aspnetdb database in the sample application with the
    same name (domain\username) as the windows login name. I then set the
    authentication in the sample winforms project to windows but I leave the role
    provider pointing to the website. Now I can log in using windows (leaving
    username and password blank) but the role provider can no longer find my
    roles even though there is a user in the database with the exact same name as
    the windows login.

    Does anyone know if there is a solution for this problem?

    Thanks,
    Martin.
    Martin11111, Jul 10, 2008