using java to create a key-value database

Lew

peter said:
using java [sic] to create a key-value database for high-performance
computing, is it a stupid idea?

markspace said:
Yes, a little.  There are lots of databases already available, use one
of them.

Depending on what one means by "database" and its projected size, one
might need no more than a standard 'Map'.

If that's not quite enough, use Derby (a.k.a. "Java DB", included with
the JDK) or PostgreSQL.

Arne Vajhøj

using java to create a key-value database for high-performance
computing, is it a stupid idea?

No. That is quite common.

But if you have to ask here, then I don't think a multi
billion dollar company has hired you to design their
new PB size databse.

For ordinary computing a relational database is
ready to be used.

If you like the key-value API, then use a table with
a key field and a BLOB value field.

Arne

Tom Anderson

No. That is quite common.

But if you have to ask here, then I don't think a multi
billion dollar company has hired you to design their
new PB size databse.

For ordinary computing a relational database is
ready to be used.

As are several existing key-value databases, suitable for high-performance
computing, and some implemented in java.

If the OP needs a key-value database, then suggesting he use an RDBMS is
the wrong answer. But i agree that indicating he write a new key-value
database is an even wronger answer.

tom