using System.Web.Script; does not exist -AJAX installation

Paul

Hi,
I have downloaded the ajax tool kit for vs 2005 but when I try to run it I
get many errors. I think it is missing some assemblies. The first error is
system.web.script namespace does not exist. I tried adding a reference as I
was looking for adding system.web.extensions or system.web.script but could
not find either under the .net tab.
Thanks.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The easiest way to get things set up is to create a new AJAX site in Visual
Studio. There are numerous portions in the config file that you will have to
copy over to the config in your application. If you have not set up anything
in config, just copy the complete config over.

Otherwise, you will want to copy over sections from the file.

In <configSections>, the entire hierarchy of groups starting with
system.web.extensions.

In <compilation> the System.Web.Extensions and System.Web.Extensions.Design
<add> nodes.

That is a minimum set up. You should also consider:

In <httpHandlers> the GET, HEAD line that points to extensions.
The <system.webServer> hierarchy.
and possibly the <runtime> hierarchy.

After this, you should be running.

The other option is to copy all of your pages into a newly created ASP.NET
AJAX site, but that is more time consuming.

Paul

ok thanks, I just installed asp.net ajax 1.0 so thinking I should now be able
to add the reference system.web.scrip or system.web.extensions
--
Paul G
Software engineer.

George Ter-Saakov said:
for VS 2005 first you need to download AJAX itself

http://asp.net/ajax/downloads/

Scroll down to "Download ASP.NET Extensions v1.0"

Geogre.

Paul

Thanks, It looks like the sample website is working now, demonstrates all of
the controls. So it looks like AJAX is a large selection of javascript
librarys that can really enhance a website with minimal effort. That was my
next question (how to impliment one or more of these controls into my web
application) but I think it is has been answered above.
My web application uses a single master page and all other pages are
displayed in the placeholder on the master page so hopefully this will not
create any difficulties in implimenting AJAX.

--
Paul G
Software engineer.

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
[...]

AJAX = Synchronous Javascript And Xml, so yes, it is a large number of
JavaScript libraries. The ASP.NET AJAX encapsulates most of the workings so
you do not have to write much code. There are other AJAX libs that require
more code on your part.

If all pages use AJAX, you can place the Script manager on the master page
and it will encapsulate all of your AJAX controls, which will be in the
content regions. It is a one time set up rather than each page, making
things much easier.

Paul said:
Thanks, It looks like the sample website is working now, demonstrates all
of
the controls. So it looks like AJAX is a large selection of javascript
librarys that can really enhance a website with minimal effort. That was
my
next question (how to impliment one or more of these controls into my web
application) but I think it is has been answered above.
My web application uses a single master page and all other pages are
displayed in the placeholder on the master page so hopefully this will not
create any difficulties in implimenting AJAX.

Paul

ok thanks for the additional information. I placed an accordian on one of
the pages and when I added a pane in the properties box I got the following
error,
<cc1:AccordionExtender ID="Accordion1_AccordionExtender" runat="server"
Enabled="True"
AccordionExtender is not a known element. I do not have a script manager on
the page so is this why I get the error? I will place the Script manager on
the master page as suggested since I think all the pages will use AJAX.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

First, do you have the bits in the config file. If not, you have to put them
in the page. There has to be a way to link to the bits, either through
config or through references in your page.

Here is how I learned enough to refurb sites for AJAX. First, open your
website. Then create a new AJAX site in teh same solution (you can delete it
later). Any time you have errors, try the same thing in the AJAX site and
then compare. You will usually find the solution by examining the top of the
page that is having issues. What this teaches you is priceless, as you start
to understand how they are "tricking" the application to use these new
controls.