Using VS.NEt 2005 to create web page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by md, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. md

    md Guest

    I know this is a really dumb question, but I can't figure out what to google
    to get an answer, so my apologies in advance.

    I used vs.net 2003 to create a web site for my employer, and recently I
    moved to vs2005, and I can't figure out how the web page designer works. In
    the old version, I simply clicked on a control in the toolbox and dragged
    the mouse on the form to create it at the appropriate size and location. No
    problem.

    However, in 2005 it seems like I have to double click or drag and drop a
    control from the toolbox, and it always sticks it in the upper left hand
    corner. Then I have to drag it where I want it and resize it.

    Also, if I try to select several controls on the page by dragging the mouse
    around them it doesn't work. It's like the page is a big text editor. I hate
    it. VS2003 was really easy, but so far 2005 isn't very impressive IMHO.

    What am I missing/doing wrong?

    If you have any tutorials or other links you'd like to share I'd be happy to
    take a look at them!

    Matt
    md, Apr 21, 2006

  2. md

    Scott M. Guest

    My understanding is that VS.NET 2005 web pages are designed in "Flow Layout"
    mode by default. VS.NET 2003 web pages were designed in "Grid Layout" mode.
    Grid Layout allows you to drag a control and drop it wherever you want by
    using the CSS Level 2.0 Absolute Positioning standard. Flow layout mode
    postitions controls inline (such as a word processor).

    I don't know if there is a Grid Layout mode in 2005, but I can tell you
    that, although you may find it eaiser to visually create the form this way,
    it is not a great way to build the UI of a web page (for consistency
    reasons) and that's why MS changed the default.

    Scott M., Apr 21, 2006

  3. md

    md Guest

    Thanks. Using Grid Layout I was able to find others asking the same question
    as me. I'm used to doing Windows Forms apps, and using this new "feature" of
    VS2005 really messes me up and seems so primitive. But that's just my
    opinion. So then I gather you can't use the mouse to select multiple
    controls on the page without using Ctrl or Shift and clicking on each one.
    This seems like a real step backwards, but again, my opinion.

    Anyway, thanks a lot for your help.

    Matt

    md, Apr 21, 2006
  4. md

    Scott M. Guest

    It's not a new feature, it's just one of the 2 modes that you've had since
    the beginning of .NET. The only thing that is new, is that MS changed which
    mode is used by default. It was changed because, although creating the page
    is easier in Grid Layout, the actual resulting page is more consistently
    rendered using Flow Layout. Yes, you need CTRL to select multiple controls.

    I belive you can still switch back into Grid Layout if you desire.

    Scott M., Apr 21, 2006
  5. md

    darrel Guest

    > I'm used to doing Windows Forms apps, and using this new "feature" of
    > VS2005 really messes me up and seems so primitive. But that's just my
    > opinion.

    Well, the main difference is that the web isn't a fixed canvas. You don't
    have full control over it. People can change their browser viewport size.
    Their font sizes. Their fonts. Etc.

    So, fixed layouts can break pretty quickly once you realize people may have
    different preferences.

    We just purchased Magic Help Desk last year. A huge, crappy help desk system
    that I'm sure we paid way too much for.

    The entire interface was designed using absolutely positioned elements and
    fixed-sized fonts. It worked fine until it was discovered that one of our
    offices set all their windows machines to use LARGE fonts. This broke the
    UI. I got to spend a week digging through the ASP pages trying to change
    everything. Ugh.

    So, anyways, get used to using Flow layout. It'll take some getting-used to
    but it will be worth it for your end-users in the long run.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Apr 26, 2006
  6. md

    jraja Guest

    click desire control you like to position then go to layout > Position > Absolute
    now you can drag control any where you like

    Huhhh

    jraja, May 11, 2006
  8. md

    tarun_chugh

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Tarun Chugh

    tarun_chugh, Jun 19, 2006
  9. md

    tarun_chugh

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Taurn Chugh

    To change your layout default is Flow and their is no such grid in the 2005

    so you can do either select control to then right click go to style the position in position set absolute or for full page grid section

    go to layout menu then position then auto-position option then in CSS position check absolutely positioned

    enjoy now your page in grid layout

    Taurn Chugh

    Tarun Chugh, Jun 20, 2006