Using Word/office ole automation with asp.net

Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz

I am trying to access a word document, preferably on the client side in my
intranet. The document is stored on the sever which is also a mapped network
drive. I have been able to access and save the document via a hyperlink
after reading the following....

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web...+activate+application+word&clearTAFilter=true

However I also want to use the OLE automation for office to format the
document appropriately as well as programmatically writing to it. However
given that the document is downloaded from a hyperlink this wont work. There
are some ms docs in visual studio that say client side operation is possible
while server side is not recommended, however it is said to be inherently
slow and OLE only works with office 97. Does it not work with later
versions? What is the best way of going about this? Of course the document
must also be saveable back on the server after.
thanks